DCI, Tour, and Kidney Disease, a new study

I don't think drum corps rehearsal schedules, strenuous as they can be, really correlate all that well to marathons--in terms of the amount and length of breaks, distance run (and sustained level of running) and hydration throughout the day. Granted, I haven't run a marathon so maybe I'm wrong about that, I dunno. Plus the mean age of the 22 study participants was 44 years old.

11 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Lance wins the internets!  (BTW he really did edit the article)

YxQajcP.png

In a big hurry (hence they typo with "cause"), just so that I could do a screencap. 

I removed the edit pretty quickly after that. 

pretty much every corps now has certified medical personnel with them on tour and have solid feeding/hydration/rest/fitness plans in place. They take this #### very seriously and the injuries of even 10 years ago arent heard of now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

This is how research is abused by lay people. Don't associate correlations that are spurious. 

Spurious; interesting word choice.  And you laid into Lay people as if none of them have any clue. Then I noticed your PHD heading and poof, it all made sense. :satisfied:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

pretty much every corps now has certified medical personnel with them on tour and have solid feeding/hydration/rest/fitness plans in place. They take this #### very seriously and the injuries of even 10 years ago arent heard of now

Last time I checked a corps at the financial level of The Cavaliers have Certified Medical Personnel out on tour; but many other corps, while they have people designated and qualified to administer first aid, do not have actual Certified Medical Doctors or Nurses on touring staff.  But I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, year1buick said:

I don't think drum corps rehearsal schedules, strenuous as they can be, really correlate all that well to marathons--in terms of the amount and length of breaks, distance run (and sustained level of running) and hydration throughout the day. Granted, I haven't run a marathon so maybe I'm wrong about that, I dunno. Plus the mean age of the 22 study participants was 44 years old.

If we are using track and field terminology how about this? DCI rehearsals are a series of short-sprints most of the day with occasional breaks; and with that also add in a final complete run-through and a performance that are both considered to be a long-sprint or a short-marathon.

Edited by Stu

47 minutes ago, xandandl said:

For the record, i too have a doctorate from a legitimate University 

And for the record, imo, this is WAY better than getting a doctorate from an illegitimate one.

• Like 1