Loudest Moments Ever???

Star of Indiana 1990, that hit in "Praise Ye". Loudest thing I've heard in Drum Corps. Period. Many have come close, but for me, Star '90.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, Lance said:

96 BD is something I bring up every time this thread comes up. 

Also, SCV's opening hit in 2004 made my 8 year-old nephew cry in the stands. 

Sorry I know this thread is from a while ago...

The finals recording of the show doesn't do that SCV 2004 opening hit justice. 

Back when grooveshark was still up and running, there was a mid season or late season recording of SCV 2004 and it was a much better representation of the corps. 

Shameless request here but if anyone has a late season recording of that show that isn't from finals, I'd love to hear it!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 5:22 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Yep...and then the final moments of "Let It Be Me" were off the decibel-chart too. Still hate that one baritone got a little over-aggressive in those final phrase...you can hear him/her on the tapes to this day. Might have cost them a medal. Finished 4th to Bridgemen by a hair after beating them in Prelims. 

Was it after the end of the push...going into the last set of the show?   If so, I know the one you're talking about....and it was well after the timing gun, so no penalty.   Rememebr that ALL judging except for GE stopped after the 11:30 mark in a show...including brass performance.

By the time that moment came up, the judges were already off the field.

• Like 2

As we used to say at a well known amusement park in Pittsburgh... "The roller coasters run faster at night."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 84BDsop said:

Was it after the end of the push...going into the last set of the show?   If so, I know the one you're talking about....and it was well after the timing gun, so no penalty.   Rememebr that ALL judging except for GE stopped after the 11:30 mark in a show...including brass performance.

By the time that moment came up, the judges were already off the field.

It was in the very last part of the show. And I didn't know that about the timing gun. I learned something new today! I thought the timing gun was just a "warning" to the corps about how much time they had left on the field. But yes, it was well after the timing gun and in the final phrases of the show. 

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

It was in the very last part of the show. And I didn't know that about the timing gun. I learned something new today! I thought the timing gun was just a "warning" to the corps about how much time they had left on the field. But yes, it was well after the timing gun and in the final phrases of the show. 

Just to let you know...shows of that era were 11:30-13 minutes long (the current 10-11:30 show length started with the 1986 season).

There was a single shot from a timing gun on the first step or first note of music, and that's when judging began.

At the 11:30 mark, there would be 2 shots, indicating 1) 90 seconds of show time max remaining, and 2) cessation of all judging EXCEPT for General Effect.

This is why that blaring brass at the end of '80 SoA did nothing to hurt the brass score...same for the horrible ensemble tear at the end of 82 SCV.

A lot of corps would save their most difficult or error prone music and drill for those last 90 seconds.

If you hear any non GE judge tapes from the era, you'll never hear the ending of the show, because they raised their clipboards and turned the recorders off.

There was also a single gun shot at the 13 minute mark to indicate a corps going over time, which incurred a penalty.   You can hear it on 81 Cavies at Whitewater -- where they WERE penalized -- and 83 SoA, where they avoided it by the skin of their teeth.

This changed in 1984...all judging ran for the entire length of the show...no timing guns.

I think DCA had the gun up until sometime in the early 2000s.  I hear it on SoCal Dream's '04 vid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Just to let you know...shows of that era were 11:30-13 minutes long (the current 10-11:30 show length started with the 1986 season).

There was a single shot from a timing gun on the first step or first note of music, and that's when judging began.

At the 11:30 mark, there would be 2 shots, indicating 1) 90 seconds of show time max remaining, and 2) cessation of all judging EXCEPT for General Effect.

This is why that blaring brass at the end of '80 SoA did nothing to hurt the brass score...same for the horrible ensemble tear at the end of 82 SCV.

A lot of corps would save their most difficult or error prone music and drill for those last 90 seconds.

If you hear any non GE judge tapes from the era, you'll never hear the ending of the show, because they raised their clipboards and turned the recorders off.

There was also a single gun shot at the 13 minute mark to indicate a corps going over time, which incurred a penalty.   You can hear it on 81 Cavies at Whitewater -- where they WERE penalized -- and 83 SoA, where they avoided it by the skin of their teeth.

This changed in 1984...all judging ran for the entire length of the show...no timing guns.

I think DCA had the gun up until sometime in the early 2000s.  I hear it on SoCal Dream's '04 vid.

Great insight! Could an "overhonked" horn impact the GE score? I'm taking it from these comments the answer is probably no.