Disappointing cliched show themes (so far in 2017)

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I agree with those who believe the darker themed shows are getting old. I appreciate the effort, and while some have been successful competitively,  it seems as if many of the shows lose steam as the season progresses. This in turn leads some to say judges don't get it when scores are low. Some will claim a show is too ahead of it's time and not appreciated. I know this is only my opinion and I'll be in the stands with all the potential dark themed shows this summer.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Although  Getting old? A lot of Darker theme shows of been happening since the late 90s and now...it's really old.  What's frustrating is as you are sitting through one you think how many times we've done this before?   The emotional feel along with the sounds and chords and textures and rhythmic pulse it all just feels so similar.  I have no problem with a few of them here or there...I like variety. but when they become the majority that's when I have a problem as the listener. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Right now some (slight) letdowns have been:

Enigma

Eclectic

Star Crossed

By a Hare

As far as Star Crossed goes aren't we only privy to the title and nothing else? If you have some inside info on rep or theme, I would love to know. PM me if you have something to share. 

I'm actually having quite the opposite reaction to the show announcements this year......there are very few shows I'm not excited to see.  Maybe I'm too positive but it makes it a lot more enjoyable if you find what you like in a show rather than immediately right off the bat finding what you don't like.  There are a few shows I'm a bit meh on thematically......but said shows also have some really awesome source music that I'm excited to hear.  

And above all else we haven't even seen the shows yet.......let's wait til at least July and then I'll participate in this discussion.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

As far as Star Crossed goes aren't we only privy to the title and nothing else? If you have some inside info on rep or theme, I would love to know. PM me if you have something to share. 

I have a small amount of info.  It just seems cliche to me.

28 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

isnt the series coming back out again soon? ( Star Crossed ):smile:  not that it has anything to do with that:bored:

Edited by GUARDLING

9 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I have a small amount of info.  It just seems cliche to me.

I was worried on announcement for the same reason.  For one reason or another I can safely say I'm not worried about it anymore.  Actually very excited.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm actually having quite the opposite reaction to the show announcements this year......there are very few shows I'm not excited to see.  Maybe I'm too positive but it makes it a lot more enjoyable if you find what you like in a show rather than immediately right off the bat finding what you don't like.  There are a few shows I'm a bit meh on thematically......but said shows also have some really awesome source music that I'm excited to hear.  

And above all else we haven't even seen the shows yet.......let's wait til at least July and then I'll participate in this discussion.  

You make some good points. Some years George Hopkins gives all kinds of explanations about what a show is supposed to mean, and he did it quite a bit with 2013 and "Side by Side." Now this is not a GH slight, but the more the show was explained, the less I understood it but many who saw the show and read the explanations thought they were thorough and helpful as FB posts attested and my guess if we go back far enough DCP posts will support. However, from the moment I saw the show in the movie theater to the at least eight times I saw the show live, I was addicted. 

Based on what I've read, I'm not all that thrilled with some of the show themes, but that's not new. What I end up seeing on the field, how well it is performed, and how engaging it is all matter more than whether they follow the theme. So we can think the theme is cliche, but my guess is what we see on the field will not be. So you're correct, we have to wait. 

21 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Right now some (slight) letdowns have been:

Enigma

Eclectic

Star Crossed

By a Hare

I don't know... By this criteria, "Triple Crown" should have been a real dud... It wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't know... By this criteria, "Triple Crown" should have been a real dud... It wasn't.

True. I'm not really saying I won't like the shows, I'm just saying these announcements kinda hit me as "meh".  By no means does that mean my mind won't be changed once I see them on the field.