Darkhorse 2017

Seems that if there could be one, it would be SCV.  But we have no reference yet with them and BD vs. the rest of the field.

SCV may be competitive, or we may just be indulging in wishful thinking with them really riding with Crown for 3rd or 4th.  I think it's likely to be the second.

I don't think SCV is really a dark horse.  Their 2016 program was a major improvement over the previous 2 years.  I have them winning the gold this year with a show that is not what I would consider to be a classic SCV show, but it plays to what the judges have rewarded in recent years.

The 2017 dark horse is Mandarins.  They are having a best ever season but we will have to wait and see if this is the year that they jump into the top 12.  They have the talent and the vehicle to make it happen.  The Academy is likely to miss out on a 2nd finals appearance this year with a cartoon show similar to the one that Blue Knights did when they dropped from 6th to 14th in a single season. The saying that "dying is easy, comedy is hard" is what the design team for The Academy" is likely to learn the hard way with their cartoon theme based program this year.

Edited by bluesman
grammar
  • Like 2

Dark Horse to medal: cavaliers 

Dark Horse to win: SCV

Dark horse to make finals: Mandarins

In my predictions I have them at 4,6, and 14

• Like 1

Honestly, I think the days of the Dark Horse (the show that surges 3-4 places in finals week) are gone (at least for the gold medal).  There are too many regionals and high profile match ups of the whole contending field for there to be huge surprises over the final 3 days.  If there was a surge in placement... It would only be a surge in placement but not so much in score, and it wouldn't be surprising.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Honestly, I think the days of the Dark Horse (the show that surges 3-4 places in finals week) are gone (at least for the gold medal).  There are too many regionals and high profile match ups of the whole contending field for there to be huge surprises over the final 3 days.  If there was a surge in placement... It would only be a surge in placement but not so much in score, and it wouldn't be surprising.

Thank you for posting this.

Just now, BoaDci said:

Thank you for posting this.

It's nice to know that I did something right by someone on DCP today.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I agree with this. You don't see things like '87 where Spirit beat Garfield by 2.5 in June, then finals Garfield is 1st and Spirit is 10th. Execution played much more in the score back then. Today design has a bigger role.