Darkhorse 2017

Boston could be as high as 7th, but, with all the off season hype, I am not sure that makes them a dark horse. Really just gets them back in the group they played with the five or so years before 2014.

Blue Stars and Blue Knights appear to be at the competitive level they were last year. Could mean a position drop if Boston tops them, unless Phantom struggles in August. 

Crossmen and Madison are better, but not  seeing a big jump from them.

The only corps that looks to be setting up to deliver a significant surprise this season is the Manderians. Even with them it is a little too early to tell if there early season success carries into August.

Frankly, after the first two weeks, it is hard to see much change from last year. Top six seems static. Boston jumps, but the 7-9 don't look significantly better. Last year's 10 probably drops to 11. Madison most likely comes in at 12. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComeHomeShane said:

Mandarins are definitely the surprise. Academy could be the dark horse. 

I would say Mandarins are a dark horse for finals. I think Academy is out. The show isn't nearly on the same level, in it's current state, as last year. They are going to have to make a ton of changes IMO. Some friends of mine called their show last year "cute" - I called it a brilliant design. This is isn't close to their design last year. This year qualifies as cute, and cute only gets you so far.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Granted things don't really start to take shape and panic buttons shouldn't really be pushed until San Antonio; but I think Academy is learning that you really have to bring it and have the show to do it if you want to remain in the top 12. Academy has another really talented corps; but their show just doesn't have the theme or design to keep them as a finalist, in my opinion. Remember where the Blue Knights placed when they did a cartoon ("Blue Toons") themed show?
The Mandarins have been a steady climb the past two years and could be finishing as high as 13th, maybe 12, this year. That could be a really big hype and springboard for them going into 2018.

Academy has the design, but not the execution quite yet. The design is sublime and clear, but they are trying things that seem to be more sophisticated and not quite pulling them off at the moment.

Edited by jjeffeory

SCV is doing great things and I expect them to do really well in August. Great sound and a solid show this year. 

• Like 1