Drums on the Passaic in Clifton next to Garfield

20 minutes ago, kckempf said:

I was there, but I wasn't posting, since I was taking photos.  Not sure how they turned out, but I can post some later.  300 miles of driving in one day for the show, but it was worth it.  I know some of the corps themselves drive further than that, so no complaints!

I wasn't focused much on the judging since most of the corps still have work left to do before the show is done.  On the ear test, Crown is way ahead of Cadets for me, but I may simply like the music more.  They definitely had the best big, full sound of the bunch, the least phasing (some really bad phasing for Colts, BTW), and technical articulation demanded of each section (the contras getting separation on every note of their run was super impressive).  I'm not as knowledgeable about percussion scoring (I play mallets but I never got to march it) but it's not as much of a liability for Crown as it was in the past, from my perspective.  It was a bit too much vocal performance for my liking, but their singer is amazing and they rose up to the challenge of live performance with a singer, which I can tell you from college band experience is harder than it should be.

Cadets style isn't usually up my alley, but they have a very strong show this year and I would have been disappointed to miss it.  It's going to hit me harder as I see it more times and get more acquainted with the source material.  Their brass did not hit as hard for me as Crown, but there weren't any deficiencies.  The costume changes are pretty wild, and I appreciate the difficulty of dancing so cleanly in those robes.  I appreciated the crowd's reaction to "In His Holy Name".  I did not appreciate the jerk who stood up and walked out of our section (right on the 50!) during the performance.

Crossmen blew me away.  The props were distracting from my angle but they communicated some sections very well ("caging" in the brass at one point).  The Exit Music ballad reminds me why I love Radiohead music in drum corps.  I know they're not going to be competing for a title but they sure sound like the finalist corps they are, and I look forward to hearing them again this year.

We must have been sitting in the same area. I saw that guy too but I just ignored it. 

I have to say that Crossmen pretty much knocked it out the park. I was not expecting their show to be as fantastic as it is. Can't wait to see how much this show improves. 

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So Cadets took guard again, Crown ahead in other captions

0.6 of the gap was GE

wasn't it just a year ago everyone was trashing the guard staff brought in?

you go Kristy and team!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear...

amen. Cadets have a ton of room for growth in this show. I've been saying, as they keep cleaning, adding and tweaking, right about San Antonio, this show could really do some damage

13 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Ok, well if there isnt inflation....rankings have Cadets and Crown above BD AND SCV.  

5 man panel vs full panel. the math sets up for this. it's not the judges inflating, it's the system.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I think the point we can all agree to is... it's early, you can't compare scores show to show and we just don't know much yet!

especially full vs partial panels

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

We must have been sitting in the same area. I saw that guy too but I just ignored it. 

I have to say that Crossmen pretty much knocked it out the park. I was not expecting their show to be as fantastic as it is. Can't wait to see how much this show improves. 

I saw that guy to (Ahole) and I agree with you and KC about Crossmen. I think Crossmen were the surprise of the night. I think that is the best Crossmen show since 92

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kckempf said:

I was there, but I wasn't posting, since I was taking photos.  Not sure how they turned out, but I can post some later.  300 miles of driving in one day for the show, but it was worth it.  I know some of the corps themselves drive further than that, so no complaints!

I wasn't focused much on the judging since most of the corps still have work left to do before the show is done.  On the ear test, Crown is way ahead of Cadets for me, but I may simply like the music more.  They definitely had the best big, full sound of the bunch, the least phasing (some really bad phasing for Colts, BTW), and technical articulation demanded of each section (the contras getting separation on every note of their run was super impressive).  I'm not as knowledgeable about percussion scoring (I play mallets but I never got to march it) but it's not as much of a liability for Crown as it was in the past, from my perspective.  It was a bit too much vocal performance for my liking, but their singer is amazing and they rose up to the challenge of live performance with a singer, which I can tell you from college band experience is harder than it should be.

Cadets style isn't usually up my alley, but they have a very strong show this year and I would have been disappointed to miss it.  It's going to hit me harder as I see it more times and get more acquainted with the source material.  Their brass did not hit as hard for me as Crown, but there weren't any deficiencies.  The costume changes are pretty wild, and I appreciate the difficulty of dancing lmd

ok. Co cleanly in those robes.  I appreciated the crowd's reaction to "In His Holy Name".  I did not appreciate the jerk who stood up and walked out of our section (right on the 50!) during the performance.

Crossmen blew me away.  The props were distracting from my angle but they communicated some sections very well ("caging" in the brass at one point).  The Exit Music ballad reminds me why I love Radiohead music in drum corps.  I know they're not going to be competing for a title but they sure sound like the finalist corps they are, and I look forward to hearing them again this year.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like it was a great show! Why did they guy get up and walk out? If he thought the Cadets show was "pro religious" I recommend he learn what Bernstein Mass is about. Very ambivalent at best and quite controversial 

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like it was a great show! Why did they guy get up and walk out? If he thought the Cadets show was "pro religious" I recommend he learn what Bernstein Mass is about. Very ambivalent at best and quite controversial 

None of us knows why he walked out, which is why I ignored it. He may have had an emergency; there were some parents with a toddler who had to leave in the middle of 7th regiment's performance because the child was afraid of the horn sounds. So that guy didn't really bother me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

None of us knows why he walked out, which is why I ignored it. He may have had an emergency; there were some parents with a toddler who had to leave in the middle of 7th regiment's performance because the child was afraid of the horn sounds. So that guy didn't really bother me. 

Oh ok gotcha 

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

He actually didn't have a seat.  I had ordered those tickets because of the empty row in front of me, since I'm tall enough to cause problems with knees in backs and my wife is pregnant and needed the opportunity to stretch her legs.  He came up for the Crossmen show, stayed through the Crown show, and left in the middle of the Cadets show, taking a ton of videos of the two and posting them on Instagram.  I don't think it was because of the content of the show; my impression is that he was a drum corps veteran who was part of a current support team.  That's why it bugged me: he seemed to know that it was rude but did it anyway, and disturbed 25 rows of fans on the 50 yard line in the process.