4th of July Parade Memories

I'm sure a lot of us have marched in 4th of July parades. I mostly remember neighborhood parades around Chicago. We'd rack up 3-4 parades, a mile or a little more each, then we'd have the rest of the afternoon off for a free day at Navy Pier and stay for fireworks. Like many drum corps members, I may have complained a lot about the parades (yes, I was one of THOSE drum corps members - I'm sorry!!!) because my feet felt like they were on fire in my black shoes on that black asphalt in 95 degree heat by the end of our parade day. But, I also understood the service we were doing for those neighborhoods and how appreciative they were for our participation.

My own little neighborhood is having a parade today. No bands or corps, just kids with bikes and happy families marching to celebrate.

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

• Like 8

We always split into two 'mini-corps' for 4th of July parades.  I always hated splitting into two, but it made traveling and set up so much easier.

For me it totally depended on the staff we had with us at the parade.  Some would let us break ranks and play around with the crowd during cadences and such which created so many great memories!.. I can't tell you how many selfies I was in from crowd members and how many wanted to touch my trumpet or give me a high five.

Some staff preferred the strict drum corps performance, which kinda sucked.

HAPPY FAWTH!

Bristol was always my favorite parade.

Fourth of July video from Stanbury Uniforms - click here

9 minutes ago, TerriTroop said:

I'm sure a lot of us have marched in 4th of July parades. I mostly remember neighborhood parades around Chicago. We'd rack up 3-4 parades, a mile or a little more each, then we'd have the rest of the afternoon off for a free day at Navy Pier and stay for fireworks. Like many drum corps members, I may have complained a lot about the parades (yes, I was one of THOSE drum corps members - I'm sorry!!!) because my feet felt like they were on fire in my black shoes on that black asphalt in 95 degree heat by the end of our parade day. But, I also understood the service we were doing for those neighborhoods and how appreciative they were for our participation.

My own little neighborhood is having a parade today. No bands or corps, just kids with bikes and happy families marching to celebrate.

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

I think BAC is in your neck of the woods.  Marching in the 4th July parades.  (Happy 4th).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, emc2 said:

I think BAC is in your neck of the woods.  Marching in the 4th July parades.  (Happy 4th).

I'm in Texas so I suspect we won't see any drum corps from afar today. I envy all those East coast and Midwest folks today! 

Edited by TerriTroop

In the Boston area, and I use this geographic area loosely to include Portsmouth, NH and Bristol, RI, there were lots of great parades. Needham, Natick, Wakefield, Norwood, some years my hometown of Franklin. In the 70's and early 80's, my era, there were still the CYO, Eastern Mass, and Mayflower circuit drum corps, bands, and drill teams. Prior to the parade stepping off, we'd all warm up, but it was really "I can play louder than you," "Our music is better than yours or newer than yours," or "We can toss our rifles higher than you." You'd try and outplay the unit in front of you on the street, but out of respect never interfered when they were at the reviewing stands. On the way home, our band, St. Joseph of Medway would always stop at the Bubbling Brook in Westwood for an ice cream: soft serve and the choices were chocolate, vanilla, or swirl, but often there was no choice on what was probably the busiest day of the year and you took what you were given. I know this sounds rather "Leave it to Beaver" but I loved July 4th parades.

Today I'll be in Wakefield. I'll see Crown, Colts, Surf, and Crossmen (their designer calls Wakefield home, so of course they'll be there). I usually video the corps and capture still shots of everything. Last year I did not turn of the camera. Do you know how many tweens and young teens enjoy photobombing? So if you know any Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, little leaguers, and banner carriers who marched in Wakefield last year, I probably have them on video along with veterans, floats, politicians, fire trucks, and any one else in the parade. After the parade, it's off to Lynn and the Beanpot.

Happy 4th from Cincinnati! No drum corps in our parades this year but plenty of celebration, nonetheless. Enjoy!

• Like 1