Medal or Fan Favorite?

Medal or Fan Favorite?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you as a marching member rather medal (top 3) or be the fan favorite?

• medal (top 3)
    • fan favorite

3 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

Medal. Not actually FOR the medal, but to be challenged by working for and with the best talent out there. I would take that experience over winning a popularity contest any day.

I know you (probably) don't mean it this way, but this comes across as saying "if the corps I'm marching in turns out to not be in contention for a medal, then the talent around me is not worth my extra effort."

I would hope all marching members are putting in the same effort, for themselves and for the corpsmates, regardless of the likelihood of medalling.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

Medal. Not actually FOR the medal, but to be challenged by working for and with the best talent out there. I would take that experience over winning a popularity contest any day.

Well said. 

I think the one year I marched would have been great regardless of the outcome, but for sure winning gold made it extra special. It was nice to be part of a group that reached its full potential. No wondering "what if", or "if only."  This is not to say corps members that didn't medal feel shortchanged. As was said earlier, most corps members grow to love their show and the experience. I marched an A-60 way back when and enjoyed it immensely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I know you (probably) don't mean it this way, but this comes across as saying "if the corps I'm marching in turns out to not be in contention for a medal, then the talent around me is not worth my extra effort."

I would hope all marching members are putting in the same effort, for themselves and for the corpsmates, regardless of the likelihood of medalling.

Not meant that way at all. Just saying that I would choose to be challenged by the best out there (best I could qualify for at least). As noted in my original comment, it isn't really about the medal. Some might prefer to be top dog in a lower placing corps. I would rather be challenged and learn from the best. If "the best" took fourth that year, I would have still learned a ton.

This question annoys me greatly.

What I wish for anyone who has ever marched in a drum corps to look back on those years fondly and with pride.

I do.

I never marched in a corps that medaled and I don't know whether I marched in a "fan favorite".   We got applause.  We got standing ovations.  Does that count?  I know that the first year I marched, I was in a tiny local corps with 32 horns.  The last year I marched, the successor of that corps had me standing in Finals at DCI.  That's what I'm proud of--making something out of nothing with my fellow marchers.

I'm proud to say that I'm still friends with those I marched with decades later.  I hope everyone here can say the same.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

What I wish for anyone who has ever marched in a drum corps to look back on those years fondly and with pride.

I do.

I never marched in a corps that medaled and I don't know whether I marched in a "fan favorite".   We got applause.  We got standing ovations.  Does that count?  I know that the first year I marched, I was in a tiny local corps with 32 horns.  The last year I marched, the successor of that corps had me standing in Finals at DCI.  That's what I'm proud of--making something out of nothing with my fellow marchers.

I'm proud to say that I'm still friends with those I marched with decades later.  I hope everyone here can say the same.

Well said. Had the same experience. The following year had a chance to be with a corps who did win gold, my heart wasn't in it and decided not to march. To this day I don't regret that...much rather have the experience over just trying to medal.

16 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I do.

I totally understand what you are saying. Most participants who march don't medal but that does not mean they would not love to see what that experience would be like but unfortunately either by talent or expense most just do it for themselves and appreciate the crowd reaction they get. This is why it sometimes annoys me that some fans feel the right to boo placements. Remember...these kids are not getting paid to perform....they pay to perform for our enjoyment.

• Like 1