Drums Across Kansas - El Dorado, KS - July 17

1 minute ago, MyKids#1Fan said:

SCV  86.3

First time tomorrow night BD/SCV/Bloo together. BD is 4-0 against SCV and beat them by more than a point last head to head. And BD is performing first tomorrow night. No excuses. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

First time tomorrow night BD/SCV/Bloo together. BD is 4-0 against SCV and beat them by more than a point last head to head. And BD is performing first tomorrow night. No excuses. 

That show is going to be off the hook!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

with SCV and Bloo appearing right after BD and before Cadets. it will be quite telling who brings their A game. Very experienced panel although some have their opinions before any corps gets off the bus.

• Like 2

Just now, superOOk said:

That show is going to be off the hook!

Yes Sir it is. Good luck to your Bluecoats. Wish them the best of luck. I said this before and i will say it again........I am BD all the way, but if BD is taking silver this year, it would be an honor to finish 2nd to that monster show Bloo has this year. Much respect to the Bluecoats. Do it up Devils!

• Like 6

I have to say, I'm very impressed at how Bloo has responded. It's like when you watch the stars at the end of a game, they only get better when they are under pressure. Pretty awesome to watch.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

with SCV and Bloo appearing right after BD and before Cadets. it will be quite telling who brings their A game. Very experienced panel although some have their opinions before any corps gets off the bus.

While i hear you, i think saying judges have their minds made up is a disservice to the corps. Whoever wins tomorrow night will be the better corps for that evening and earned it. Not the judges giving it to them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Yes Sir it is. Good luck to your Bluecoats. Wish them the best of luck. I said this before and i will say it again........I am BD all the way, but if BD is taking silver this year, it would be an honor to finish 2nd to that monster show Bloo has this year. Much respect to the Bluecoats. Do it up Devils!

I just love that we have the two going at each other (and SCV & Crown too!). It only benefits the viewer, as these kids will be pushed to their limits!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, superOOk said:

Yeah, lots of people are scratching their heads on this one. But, congrats to both corps, they are putting on the cream of the crop this year!

Let me preface this with the disclaimer that my only association with drum corps is a 60 year love affair. I have no musical talent whatsoever (zero, nada, zilch) and therefore little musical knowledge. I'm a visual artist, so often my appreciation for a show stems heavily from my reactions to what I see. In the past few years I have found Bloo's shows to be visual intriguing.   There use of the triangle ramps in "Tilt" for example was fantastic; simple, eloquent, but dynamic (vs. static). My thought this year is that the Bluecoats use of the large, prominent stage, with its massive, but static, presence may be working against them when it comes to their GE effectiveness. For me, it's a visual ball-and-chain that gets in the way of their ability to vary the visual landscape. It commands ones attention to the point that it is hard for the corps to draw all of the audience's attention separate and apart from the constant dominant element of that stage.  In contrast, BD also uses prominent props, often as mini stages, but they do so through changes in position at key points in their show, with accompanying changes in the visual landscape that corresponds to key parts of their thematic design. For example, the bank of stairways don't come into play until the show reaches the point where the show is shifting from drum corps past to drum corps present and then again to drum corps future. I don't know if my take is similar to what judges are experiencing when they view the shows, but I'd be curious as how much this figures, if at all, into Bloo and BD's GE scores. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I am all for crowd reaction being part of GE. Since BD is always accused of playing to the sheets and maxing out each caption, that just means they will design a show that will make fans throw their babies just as far as any corps taking the field. Let's do it!!!

That's mostly happening this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Chief Guns said:

While i hear you, i think saying judges have their minds made up is a disservice to the corps. Whoever wins tomorrow night will be the better corps for that evening and earned it. Not the judges giving it to them. 

Don't put words in my mouth when I didn't say them or mean what you said.

Some judges are more relaxed to enjoy a corps. Others almost challenge, prove it to me. That's all.