Drums Across Kansas - El Dorado, KS - July 17

1 minute ago, superOOk said:

Would love to see part of the GE score be a crowd reaction score. It would be great for DCI. It would force designers to create shows that audiences enjoy more, no? (not saying BD's show isn't entertaining, the crowd loves them!)

Crown's score in Muncie would be crazy good then...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If you wanted to find a way to limit the creativity of show designs, that'd be a great way to do it

Disagree to a point. I think audiences LOVE creativity. They also love seeing the traditional drum corps stuff. There is a way to do both (see TILT)

Just now, wilme861 said:

Crown's score in Muncie would be crazy good then...

Yeah, I think Crown would get a nice bump. I'm just saying give the crowd what they want! Doesn't have to limit the show design at all.

6 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

GE is inherently subjective, no matter how much they try to objectify it. Different people/judges see different things. 

Sure, but there has to be some criteria. Otherwise, what is the point of scoring It?

• Like 1

I am all for crowd reaction being part of GE. Since BD is always accused of playing to the sheets and maxing out each caption, that just means they will design a show that will make fans throw their babies just as far as any corps taking the field. Let's do it!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Sure, but there has to be some criteria. Otherwise, what is the point of scoring It?

The latest criteria can be found here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

For sure there is criteria, but even that criteria, whatever it is, is subject to personal preferences. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I am all for crowd reaction being part of GE. Since BD is always accused of playing to the sheets and maxing out each caption, that just means they will design a show that will make fans throw their babies just as far as any corps taking the field. Let's do it!!!

I mean, I'm down for it.

My issue with playing to the sheets always was less that BD played to the sheets, and more that the sheets and the audience were that divergent, in what's first and foremost an entertainment activity.

And it seems to me that Devils have moved back that direction after the most recent round of sheet rewrites.

"We all know that there's something that only the corps of Drum Corps International deliver: this magical moment, or two or three in a show that are beyond explanation," DCI Artistic Director Michael Cesario explained. "We know that sometimes [those moments] happen in the break between two captions. It's that magic moment when our fans are driven to stand up. They don't know why they're standing up, but they're just standing up and screaming or crying or responding to this super sensitive moment. You find that when you box the judges in, we were limiting the judge to be unable to experience the performance the same way that the audience gets it, which is as a whole." 

• Like 1