Are judges now trying to lessen the impact of General Effect?

13 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

We'll see.  Last year, the corps with the greatest GE, perhaps ever, won.  It was a consensus win by both judges and fans alike.   

I wouldn't go THAT far—it's not as if no other corps have had genius show designs with massive crowd appeal. This superlative still belongs to   Star '93, Frameworks (02), The Zone (05), and Felliniesque (14), IMO.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

I'm hoping that the judges continue to show approval for for innovative, modern, creative design!

The judges have always done this...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I wouldn't go THAT far—it's not as if no other corps have had genius show designs with massive crowd appeal. This superlative still belongs to   Star '93, Frameworks (02), The Zone (05), and Felliniesque (14), IMO.

Those are all awesome shows you write.   Wish we had the ability to just plug and play them on the FanNetwork.   Now, it's hunt for whatever you can find on YouTube.  Ah, those were the days!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

But to what extent does or should "crowd reaction" play into scoring GE? 

I think we've had this conversation before. 

Crowd reaction should play into a GE score so much as the sheets indicate. Period. 

• Like 4

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

Those are all awesome shows you write.   Wish we had the ability to just plug and play them on the FanNetwork.   Now, it's hunt for whatever you can find on YouTube.  Ah, those were the days!

Or have a downloaded archive :whistle:

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I think GE might be to subjective  and we're seeing the results of that this season. For the first time in a long time, the corps that is technically superior might just win a championship.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

For what it's worth, I think GE might be to subjective  and we're seeing the results of that this season. For the first time in a long time, the corps that is technically superior might just win a championship.

You may be right.  If so, there is a paradym shift in the making - and may be happening right in front of our eyes.   Though, I think it is too early to buy into that one.   This will leave to interesting discussion as we move along.

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think we've had this conversation before. 

Crowd reaction should play into a GE score so much as the sheets indicate. Period. 

Question: if the corps were playing to empty stands, would or should GE scores be the same?

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

You should save them from YT! I store a bunch in Google Drive and watch them on my phone whenever I want. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Question: if the corps were playing to empty stands, would or should GE scores be the same?

Tough question, honestly. But yes.

Have you ever noticed that some comedies are funnier when you see them in a crowded theater? That definitely matters to your experience of the movie as a consumer: audience reaction helps you like it more.

But judges aren't consumers; they're closer to critics. And whether a show flows or not, or is sophisticated and complicated or not, has nothing to do with the audience. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2