Amplify THIS ! !

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

. One solo that I thought was absolutely marvelous was the baritone that played "bring him home"in 2011 with Boston...I thought it was even better than the mello that played it for SCV in 2013...although that solo was very nice as well..both acoustic

Charlie nailed that solo beautifully.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, when you don't know any better I suppose it was a great moment for you and others of your ilk to be sure.  I wont't waste my energy, experience and knowledge trying to convince you there are better ways.

:laughing:

try that with a few ounces less of condescension and I'll take you seriously 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

I'd like to point out here, as I did in the Blue Knights thread, that BK seems to have nailed electronics balance and dynamic contrast this year. I can't think of any corps that plays, as a full ensemble, as quiet as BK does, which makes their loud moments seem louder (and they are really cranking it this season when they need to). And they do all that without massive thunderous goo (and with 16 tubas). I think their musicality is going incredibly under-appreciated.

And yes, their use of electronics in the snare solo (and mellophone solo later in the show) is very innovative, and doesn't cover the rest of the ensemble.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TRacer said:

One of the GE Brass judges at a CA show earlier in July suggested on his tape during a smaller OC corps' performance that they ought to mic the entire hornline "...so that we can hear them." That ain't right. 

I predicted this a few years ago.  It's probably not that far away from us seeing an entire horn line micd and balanced exactly as the corps wishes (a la "Blast"). 

Gonna be a big expense (and probably a ton of fundraising and soliciting for donations) for all of those wireless mics though.  Once that catches on with the judging community, every corps will "need" to do it, and probably push a few corps out of existence because they financially can't keep up with it.  

That last part might even happen with just the sound systems arms race alone even if mic-ing the whole corps never does actually happen.

30 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

I predicted this a few years ago.  It's probably not that far away from us seeing an entire horn line micd and balanced exactly as the corps wishes (a la "Blast"). 

Gonna be a big expense (and probably a ton of fundraising and soliciting for donations) for all of those wireless mics though.  Once that catches on with the judging community, every corps will "need" to do it, and probably push a few corps out of existence because they financially can't keep up with it.  

That last part might even happen with just the sound systems arms race alone even if mic-ing the whole corps never does actually happen.

This same argument was made in 2001 when Bb horns were first used and then later when synthesizers started the electronics movement (not sure of the year), yet that doesn't seem to have led to a mass extinction. Corps come and go for lots of financial reasons.

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Extremely small nit pick.  Were Bb instrumsent used by a corps or three in 2000?

Cadets and BD used them.

How about they just rename DCI to what it is... SGI:  Summer Guard International.  Coming to an outdoor gym near you!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 11:31 AM, GlenI said:

I think it's all about balance. And that's subjective. I remember the little "Curtain Call" that The Cadets did at the end of the '87 show. The crowd went so nuts that there was no way to hear the soloist. A mic would have fixed that. There's a time and place. IMO, amplification is like hot pepper, a little can wake up a dish. Even a lot for a short bit can be good. But too much and everything gets over shadowed. I think the activity is still figuring out how much is enough. 

There have been quite a few times in the long ago that sound amplification would have helped, but in those shows, Corps took a chance, not always wisely, which cost most of them.  Bridgemen in 80 when the percussion, which was up front, took off with the tempo and the corps couldn't hear what the brass was playing side to side.  Was probably the best chance for a title for them, which went down the tubes with.  Santa Clara took a huge chance in Montreal by putting the horn line across the front and going into the Bottle Dance from Fiddler.  Crowd went nuts, corps was too spread out to hear, guard was off, ending not good!  I can't remember a couple of others that I had thought of, getting old timers disease, but amplification would have helped, instead, corps took chances and it didn't work.  

23 hours ago, Ghost said:

Extremely small nit pick.  Were Bb instrumsent used by a corps or three in 2000?

Thanks, you're right! Cadets and BD in 2000 to kick it off.