Amplify THIS ! !

As much as I enjoy electronic effects, I think that using them solely as a way to make acoustic sounds louder is a very poor usage (with the exception of the front ensemble, in observance of care of the instrument). That said, I think that electronic effects can be used extremely effectively; Blue Knights' snare solo this year is an excellent example, as is the soundscape effect of 2015 Bluecoats. It's just really disappointing to see mics used exclusively to make brass sound louder (e.g. SCV's small ensemble, Phantom's mic line, etc.).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm okay with soloists being miced. Trumpets aren't G bugles, they won't generate the same power. 

Using a mic allows for much better tone quality and avoids the harshness that would occur without the mic. I use 2012 Pacific Crest as an example. They had a gorgeous flugelhorn solo play the melody of Yellow by Coldplay and it was chill-inducing good. You just can't have solos like that without a mic 

But do all the solos need to be micd ?  I say definitely not..but just about all of them are. :(

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

But do all the solos need to be micd ?  I say definitely not..but just about all of them are. :(

Nope, all solos do not need to be miced. I'm just arguing for the moments where I think it's better to mic than not. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Boy you're not kidding.  And some corps have really embraced the fancy dancy PA system while others lag behind in this regard.  So based on PA systems alone, the playing field is NOT level.

Check out BD's PA system - woofers and tweeters stretched all across the pit and out to the sides.  Other corps have only two main speakers on either side of the pit.  There is a reason BD's bass was car-thumping distracting!  I sat through a full ensemble rehearsal of theirs and the Rhianna bits were positively deafening without a sound-absorbing audience.

Ive had the idea that DCI should contact Yamaha and put together 4 systems in 4 box trucks that travel with a small 2 man crew from show to show setting up the speakers portion. every corps pulls in with their pit, and hands the system manager the 2 left and right outputs from the mixer. now all corps will have the same system.

The only system i have seen is Boston. They are right about where they should be. 4 Subwoofers, with 4 line array speakers on top of each sub is all that is needed. If you want to do special effects stuff with speakers moving on the field or whatever, bring your own! lol

• Like 5

I've thought for awhile now that the only solution was to mike and amplify a few disgruntled fans during finals.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Nope, all solos do not need to be miced. I'm just arguing for the moments where I think it's better to mic than not. 

For effects I agree (which along with micing are overused).  The thing is...a solo through a sound system (and what's being used is not really ideal or suited) is going to always sound a certain way and the purity of the sound/expression is lost a bit  imo 

I do agree for the most part. Something that actually bothered at the show last week was that the amps were turned up beyond anything. Not trying to start anything, but no corps was safe from that... I also noticed that some corps cut down on contras???? I might be mistaken on that, but I believe I saw 9 to 11 contras with BD. I am excepting of how things progress, but I do believe if you want a richer low end, well get your brass to first balance and when the time is right blow the doors down. But, it is what it is.

1 hour ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I've thought for awhile now that the only solution was to mike and amplify a few disgruntled fans during finals.

lol.. thats a funny line.

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Mics for soloists allow for the best tone quality possible and that should be the first and foremost priority. 

NO..Experienced players that know how to project well with their horns with excellent tone quality...do not need mics at all...

Edited by Liahona

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

But mics don't because it is an artificial sound.  Best sound is ALWAYS live without amps.  Amping changes the sound.  If the soloist needs to be mic'd everything else is too loud. 

I can't understand how folks either 1. ignore that the sound is artificial or 2. can't discern the difference. or 3. can discern the difference and just don't care. 

Folks are NEVER going to convince me that there is anything BETTER than acoustic brass sound in this medium. NEVER!

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 4