Whats your on favorite show?

30 minutes ago, lindap said:

One of my favourites is CC 2013 E=mc2 1) colour 2) palette 3) music 4) pace 5) tympanies 6) vocals 7) blend 8) dynamics 9) brass 10) poetry in motion narrating love

Same for me.

My reasons:

1st Crown Gold, 1st Crown Gold, 1st Crown Gold, ... need I go on?

Oh, Son's age-out show. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pudding said:

You know, I've always found it interesting that everyone seems to love Tilt as much as they do. I certainly enjoyed being fan favorite all season, and I recognize the ways that Tilt is both enjoyable to a casual fan and just deep enough for a more dedicated fan. To me, Tilt is a masterclass in more "traditional" drum corps show design, in terms of opener->drum break->ballad->closer, with appropriate build and climax in all movements. 

That said, and perhaps I'm just more familiar with the imperfections in the show than most, to me it's less unbelievably genius, and was executed less perfectly, than Kinetic Noise. If Tilt was a masterclass in the old style, then Kinetic Noise was a masterclass in the new style that has come to define the modern design aesthetic. 

lol funnily enough........

2015 Bluecoats

When I saw this show in the theater.........one moment in particular just had me on cloud nine........I was somewhere else watching this show.  It felt and looked and sounded like something I had never seen before.  I honstley thought they were going to win.......it felt THAT good.  2014 introduced their new identity, 2016 refined it, but 2015 is the show that REALLY put itself out there and went for it everything hanging out.  I think with another week........they coulda been well up there.  

1. The mashup of Shaker Loops and Electronic Counterpoint before the ballad is...........otherworldy.  Ethereal?  I just know when I saw that for the first time in the theaters I had full body goosebumps and when they turn around and it modulates I was transcended.  The use of the looping tracks, the build, the guard work, just everything combined into something absolutely magical for me as a fan.  It was mind blowing.  Probably my favorite two minutes of drum corps ever.  
  2. The opener, oh my God.  That's one of my favorite marriage of what you're seeing and what you're hearing moments in drum corps.  The emergence of that first HUGE chord from all the static and noise of the build it before it with that shimmering metal guard equipment...man.  
  3. That leads me to something else.  This is probably my favorite Bluecoats color guard.  Love love love the costuming and color usage and the aforementioned metal guard equipment.  I thought it echoed the static and soundscape manipulation fantastically.  
  4. "Woods" is just stunningly gorgeous.  Absolutely nails soloist and the choreo in the brass/guard at that glorious climax is amazing.  In such a noisy and busy show that ballad just letting it breathe and slow down was a fantastic pacing decision.  I feel like this years ballad is trying to echo that a bit, though not sure if it's QUITE as successful.  
  5. The electronics usage is mind blowing, the fact that they were able to build a show around soundscape manipulation is pretty awesome.  2014 introduced it and 2016 refined it but what they did in 2015 was truly groundbreaking and boundary pushing.  
  6. The brass line sounds so so so good.......I listen to this show the most out of their recent offerings.  Those huge chords in the front half, "Woods", the closer.  Their tone and approach to ensemble sound is so good.  
  7. Percussion feature is so #### cool.  How they managed to find something like "The Animated Description of Mr. Maps" and translate that to a feature?  Only Bluecoats.  #### Rarick and team.  Awesome.  
  8. Love the ending and the wave form looking drill that morphs with the synth effects.  Another amazing example of seeing what I'm hearing.  And the guard swarming the prop at the end as that lone member emerges above the prop.  Amazing.  
  9. The follow the leader stuff going into the ending, almost more the early season version of this show, is really cool with the trumpets ripping underneath it.  
  10. Amazing contra feature in the front half.  

Honestly everything I love about drum corps can be summed up in these two minutes:

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

My reasons:

OK    I'll see your 2013 Carolina Crown and raise you a 2016 Bluecoats Down Side Up

My reasons:

1st Bloo Gold, 1st Bloo Gold, 1st Bloo Gold, ... need I go on?

(plus it had the coolest prop and GREATEST ballad of all time)

• Like 3

It's funny that people are mentioning Crown and Bloo's first golds. I believe that E=mc2 is Crown's best production to date, with its excellent incorporation of Einstein on the Beach. I don't feel the same about Down Side Up; while it was definitely fun, and incredible with their exploration of the z-axis, I think that both Kinetic Noise and Tilt had superior designs, and Kinetic Noise was cleaner. Of the past four years, my rating of the Bluecoats shows goes Kinetic Noise >> Tilt > Down Side Up > Jagged Line. For Crown, it goes (E=mc2) >> Inferno > Relentless > Out Of This World >>>> It Is. Yes, I included 2013 Crown but not 2013 Bluecoats, but 2013 Bluecoats is sort of in a different stylistic era than 2014-on. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Same for me.

My reasons:

Oh, Son's age-out show. 

Funny I was thinking something similar: brass, brass, brass... Also my favorite Crown uniforms. Perfect combination of colorful, practical, and unique.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pudding said:

It's funny that people are mentioning Crown and Bloo's first golds. I believe that E=mc2 is Crown's best production to date, with its excellent incorporation of Einstein on the Beach. I don't feel the same about Down Side Up; while it was definitely fun, and incredible with their exploration of the z-axis, I think that both Kinetic Noise and Tilt had superior designs, and Kinetic Noise was cleaner. Of the past four years, my rating of the Bluecoats shows goes Kinetic Noise >> Tilt > Down Side Up > Jagged Line. For Crown, it goes (E=mc2) >> Inferno > Relentless > Out Of This World >>>> It Is. Yes, I included 2013 Crown but not 2013 Bluecoats, but 2013 Bluecoats is sort of in a different stylistic era than 2014-on. 

You could start to see what they were gonna do in for 2014 - 2015 in 2013 in the "City Life" portion in terms of the use of minimalistic but incredibly approachable music that was just a breath of fresh air.  I'm wondering if they didn't get a lot of praise for that part of the show and ran with it for 2014 and beyond.  

And don't sell yourself so short on 2014.......the first time I saw your show my jaw was on the floor and not just because of the pitch bend.  It was just incredibly cool, sleak, simply and effectively packaged amazing drum corps.  It's easily in my top favorites as well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsd said:

Holy cow, this is hard...

But...

Blue Devils 1994.

1. Return of the Devils

First title in almost a decade. Great to see them win.

2. Source Material

Come on...Chick Corea, and a great interpretation of it.

3. New approach to guard staging

This is the game changer. For the first time in DCI history, the guard became more than the backdrop, and moved front and center. Modern drum corps staging owes a LOT to this show.

4. "My Spanish Heart" as a ballad.

Enough said. Beautiful music played beautifully.

5. Colorguard Costuming

I remember watching this show early in the season and looking at my friend next to me and saying, "What are they wearing? Is this for real?"

6. The Heartbeat

It is reiterated throughout the show, and reinforces the theme.

7. Night Streets

On point, rocking, and totally musically satisfying. 

8. Day Danse

See number seven.

9. Spanish Fantasy, Part IV

The ultimate BD closer.

10. Gold

First championship in eight years, and it began the run that they can possibly continue in a few weeks. 

SAME!

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Tell me your one favorite show.  Tell me ten things you love about it.

I have been around and involved with DCI since the seventies. Ask me to list ten shows that I love dearly with one reason per show; that I can do.  Ask me to pick ‘the one’ show and list ten reasons it tops the list; that I cannot do.

• Like 4