The Massillon Knock Out August 7

Solo choir singer on Simple Song is still flat to my ears. She has nothing to base her pitch on from where she's standing.

• Like 5

Nice mixing of the brass and the choir, though. Very effective.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

So far I loved Boston the most. Total show from music to drill to guard to marching and overall visual. Great theme with a beautiful ballad. 

Phantom Regiment gets my most improved award. They have a fun show and I love the last 2 minutes. That's classic Phantom. 

Crossmen have one of my favorite music books of the summer. That will be a must listen on radio in the car. Not sure about the visual, but they are marching well. Overall a strong corps, but that music is just AWESOME!

The Cavaliers are one of the best visual ensembles in DCI this year. Visual proficiency, analysis, killer guard -- it's all there. Cavaliers also have an excellent  percussion section, and brass is quality. But I continue to be underwhelmed by the music -- both in choice and construction. Too choppy and seemingly tossed in for a quick effect. They definitely perform well but I do not see any chance they pass Bloo or Crown. They just do not have the construction, achievement, or demand in brass and total music. Having said that it's a fun show. 

When I saw the Cavaliers in Allentown this past weekend, I was not impressed.  The guard is good but the show design seemed very cluttered and there was too much going on at the same time.  I didn't really get pulled in by the music either.  I was expecting to really love this show from all the hype I've been hearing about it but it just didn't do anything for me.

1 minute ago, tommynev said:

Curious to see if this is the show where The Cadets finally distribute communion wafers to the crowd via air cannon.. (joking!)

posted from the DrumScorps app

Do not give George any ideas!

• Like 2

Soloist is better at the end. 

1 hour ago, CDUB said:

What is phantom's show about?  Love the music but can't figure out what's going on other than some adolescent boys in the stands probably grinning. 

CDUB,

The following is a combination of info from PR's website and the contributions of a couple of DCP posters responding to the same inquiry by others on this site.

PR website: Set amidst a musical landscape of sweeping symphonic scores and dark new musical textures, Phantasm explores the stark contrasts between reality and imagination, the real and the unreal. A twisted musical and visual challenger emerges as an intruder from within the classical tradition of the Phantom Regiment. This seductive, powerful character begins life solely as an invasion of the mind, but quickly becomes something more, blurring the lines between beauty, madness and desire. Forced to confront the enemy within, newfound strength leads to an awakening, and phantasy gives way to reality.

Bama Belle on 08-04 on the DCP Allentown forum (page 76) says: It's about being infatuated with something that isn't real. That's why the MM are reaching out and crawling toward the girl in the beginning. When they change to white hats, it represents the willingness to face reality and live in the present and be free from isolating things that will destroy you. Bama Belle then references Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.2 ( familiar to many as "All By Myself) as the corps' musical expression of this decision.

PRomoter on the Phantom Regiment forum on DCP (page 121) responded to inquiries by FancySnack on 07-31 and drumcorpsfever on 08-01 by suggesting the following:

Act 1 : Dark forces are in control of the corps, changing their normal white to black. This act contains some of the most frenetic field movement and guard work. It is meant to make us feel unbalanced and confused, as is the corps in their struggle against the dark forces.

Act 2 : The corps fights to regain who they are. You will notice a lot of struggle for control over the dark forces, resulting in the appearance of the light force as the Rachmaninoff begins. You will notice the music moves from dark, atonal at times (quite unlike what we associate with Regiment), to a beautiful ballad in a major key.

Act 3 : The corps begins to win control as the battle wages, with corps finally breaking the "spell", reflected in the white helmets, white guard units and the bright flag design. Even the music reflects the beautiful romantic/classical genre PR is known for.

Hope this helps.  SUTA

Michael, Soprano, Phantom Regiment, 1956-1960

Edited by 1956OPR
clarification
  • Like 1