A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

59 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I am not insulting the corps, I am criticizing the product.  A performance group is not immune to criticism, and if they take it as an insult, that's on them.

Now you can certainly call my criticisms gratuitous if you want to.  That's fine with me.  But there are gratuitous things happening in the activity today, and the only way to describe and discuss them is with gratuity in kind.  I don't have time to be nice, or to wear kid gloves.  I'm not trying to catch flies with honey here, I'm trying to swat flies with candid honesty.  I don't give a toss if small-minded sycophants on the internet like it or not (and that's not directed at you, Fran.  They know who they are....and if they don't like it, they need to stop acting the part).

And you are also insulting the members of this board with comments like this...which is against the guidelines you agreed to when you signed up, don't forget.

What you call "candid honesty" is your personal opinion. You are 100% entitled to have an opinion on any topic in drum corps, and to express it here, as long as you stay within the DCP Guidelines. Personally, I disagree with almost everything you have written, but those are just my opinions. I saw my first show in 1963, and I marched from 64-72, and taught and judged from 76-80 in the Garden State Circuit, so I am as much an old-timer as anyone here. I also love and appreciate the corps of today, both what the designers create and how the members perform. Do I like every show? No, but I didn't in 1967 either. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

what exactly have you done, other than try to troll me?

Since you did post all of your credentials in multiple postings which indicates your expertise and experience, and you have just inquired about mine, it is only fitting and fair that I post my credentials and experience at this juncture for all to read.  So: I attended Juilliard.  I'm a graduate of the Harvard Business School. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the Exorcist about a hundred  and sixty-seven times, and it keep getting funnier every single time I see it, not to mention the fact that you are talking to a dead guy.  Now what do you think? You think I am qualified?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Since you did post all of your credentials in multiple postings which indicates your expertise and experience, and you have just inquired about mine, it is only fitting and fair that I post my credentials and experience at this juncture for all to read.  So: I attended Juilliard.  I'm a graduate of the Harvard Business School. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the Exorcist about a hundred  and sixty-seven times, and it keep getting funnier every single time I see it, not to mention the fact that you are talking to a dead guy.  Now what do you think? You think I am qualified?

:spitting::spitting::spitting::lol::worthy:

At any rate, there's been SOME good discussion in this thread, and despite the multiple attempts by the same handful of people to derail it, I hope we can continue that discussion.

Just now, Bobby L. Collins said:

At any rate, there's been SOME good discussion in this thread, and despite the multiple attempts by the same handful of people to derail it, I hope we can continue that discussion.

So type away; we await reading with suspenseful anticipation your ongoing instruction and multiple 5,000 word posts on the aspects of drum corps in which you are the only expert.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I will tell any director exactly what I think of the direction they're leading their corps, yes, even to their face, should the opportunity arise.  That's how passionate I am about this activity, and how strong my convictions are.  And I would certainly welcome that opportunity.

Well this is easily accomplished. They're all in the lot after any big show. Or you can stop by the corps rehearsal on show day and often find them. The only one you have mentioned by name on this thread, George Hopkins, is certainly going to be at DCA championships in a couple of weeks so you still have time to let him know your thoughts on this season while it's fresh in your mind.

Let us know how it goes.

4 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

Well this is easily accomplished. They're all in the lot after any big show. Or you can stop by the corps rehearsal on show day and often find them. The only one you have mentioned by name on this thread, George Hopkins, is certainly going to be at DCA championships in a couple of weeks so you still have time to let him know your thoughts on this season while it's fresh in your mind.

Let us know how it goes.

As long as he treats them face to face with the same crass attitude he shows here that will be very interesting indeed. But that, again, takes real yarbles.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

, it is only fitting and fair that I post my credentials and experience at this juncture for all to read.  I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that.  Now what do you think? You think I am qualified?

Hows your typing skills ? How many words a minute ?  Can you replace a the paper tray in a HP copier ?  Can you make the Keurig Coffee Maker work flawlessly ? Can you answer the phone and screen callers ?  Open and sort the mail ? If so, you sound qualified to me to run the Live Stream Audio/ Video Engineering Unit at FloMarching for the 2018 DCI Summer Season.

Edited by BRASSO

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The announced paid attendance number for Montreal Finals Night in 1981 was " 35,947 ". Thats not an estimated number. Thats not a click number. Thats not a freebie included number. This was the announced number by DCI for Finals Night attendance in 1981. It would have been SO much easier for DCI to find the extra 53 " attendeees " to make the number " 36,000 ". But DCI didn't in 1981. They went with the PRECISE attendance figure of " 35, 947 ". These were DC officiaI numbers. DCI had plummeting Finals Night attendance numbers in the mid 90's.. more than a DECADE later. The Finals Night Attendance numbers fell.. to the high teens, low 20's. In order to avoid the embarrassment of the official released number from the 80's being compared to the plummeting 90's numbers, DCI... ( new people in the office, by now ) decided that the narrative was that those DCI official numbers... well... they really wern't accurate numbers. Todays's DCI numbers though, well you can now trust THESE DCI numbers now, but not THOSE DCI official numbers. Well, the problem with that is that the people that were present in 1981 AND at Finals Night in the 90's, know full well what we were seeing on these Finals Nights. DCI in 1981 did not have people walking willy nilly thru the turnstyles in a major stadium like Olympic Stadium, Montreal to somehow inflate the attendance figures so that DCI could say " look we are at ALMOST 36,000 people". No... DCI gave the official DCI announced Finals Night Attendance as a precise, paid figure of exactly "  35,947 " and it was that precise number, and no other number, that DCI announced was their OFFICIAL 1981 Finals Night Attendance Figure. I accept that number with the same faith and trust that I accept the last few DCI official Finals Night Attendance Figures. If DCI says their Finals Night Attendance figures are up the last few seasons, I accept it. The same faith and trust that I have that in 1981 DCI's official Finals Night Attendance  figure was equally as accurate and bonifide.

you do realize anyone can type what they want to to make it look good don't you? PR people do this daily 

4 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

lol. you got blocked. to be honest I thought I would before you my friend.

Sorry I have to go. I am writing drill for my high school band. An Adele tribute with the band in leotards.

look the leotards dont bother me, but Adele is cruelty!!