2017 World Championships Semi-Finals - Aug 11

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

To those who have studied recaps, did Knights make the biggest jump of the evening?

I am a huge fan of their book and brass, but no way they should finish ahead of Cadets. 

Actually, no brass line surprised me more than the Blue Knights did in Military Park for Prelims. That hornline can PLAY and what they're playing is not easy at all! I knew it was a good hornline but first time seeing them warm up before a show and it definitely won't be the last if they keep this up. Side-note, Matt Harloff happened to watch the warm up too while he waited for Crown since Blue Knights happened to be in the spot Crown usually warms up in. There's a lot of respect there between both staffs and you could tell Matt was enjoying what he was listening too.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Surprised Crown's vocalist microphone problems didn't hurt them in music analysis. If the leading voice in an ensemble intermittently drops to inaudible, or gets distorted (assuming that wasn't intentional?), oughtn't that to be taken into consideration?

How do you know it didn't hurt them?  They lost most of their lead over the next two corps.

If you guys want to rewatch or missed or whatever the SCV alumni show, message me and I'll send you a link.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Crown was third in music last night too unless I am looking at something wrong.

First in Brass and MA both nights, dropped from third last night to fourth tonight in drums.

Prelims total music scores were:

29.188 Carolina Crown

28.938 Blue Devils

28.925 Santa Clara Vanguard

28.363 Bluecoats

Semis total music scores were:

29.313 Blue Devils

29.250 Santa Clara Vanguard

29.238 Carolina Crown

28.613 Bluecoats

15 minutes ago, skevinp said:

How do you know it didn't hurt them? They lost most of their lead over the next two corps.

Crown was 98/98 both nights in that caption. Are you saying they would have had a perfect score in that caption if not for the microphone?

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Prelims total music scores were:

29.188 Carolina Crown

28.938 Blue Devils

28.925 Santa Clara Vanguard

28.363 Bluecoats

Semis total music scores were:

29.313 Blue Devils

29.250 Santa Clara Vanguard

29.238 Carolina Crown

28.613 Bluecoats

My bad.  I was looking at the drum avg ordinal.  In my defense, there was no ordinal in the total music column so my brain kind of went right past it. 

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Crown was 98/98 both nights in that caption. Are you saying they would have had a perfect score in that caption if not for the microphone?

Not sure why you would conclude that I'm saying they would have had a perfect score.  There like 7 possible scores between 19.6 and 20.0.

It looks like Crown was the only corps in the top 12 that did not go up in MA from prelims to semis.  BD went up .5 and  SC went up .3.  At a quick read, top 12 corps appear to have gone up like .4 on average.  That seems like quite a difference.

How badly do you think they should have been punished for having a mic that cut out in a few places?

Edited by skevinp

17 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Not sure why you would conclude that I'm saying they would have had a perfect score.  There like 7 possible scores between 19.6 and 20.0.

It looks like Crown was the only corps in the top 12 that did not go up in MA from prelims to semis.  BD went up .5 and  SC went up .3.  At a quick read, top 12 corps appear to have gone up like .4 on average.  That seems like quite a difference.

How badly do you think they should have been punished for having a mic that cut out in a few places?

Well put. I concede the point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I agree - a much more mature program IMO. Especially percussion wise. 

2013 had an emotional element (the two lovers reconnecting beyond time and space - with the cool red feather warping effect that brings them back together) that this show lacks. It's a really well done show for sure, but it leaves me cold. And the closer is soooo long.