Cadets 2018

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

It is a real shame that I had that same NEGATIVE view of DCA when I was younger after aging out of DCI...I viewed DCA as a step-backward and that it was just for OLD people who were trying to HOLD-ON to their youth...I truly missed the mark and in retrospect realize how WRONG I was about DCA...The sad part is I only marched in a 14th and 16th place DCI corps at the time, but still perceived all groups in DCA as inferior...There even was some active recruiting (from folks that knew me) at the time from the Connecticut Hurricanes, but I declined their offer due to my unfounded perception as to what I thought DCA was all about...Honestly, I really didn't have any basis for my negative opinions towards DCA...I just didn't see DCA as being the COOL place to go...Perhaps if I started in DCA and moved to DCI...my perception at the time would have been quite different...I feel quite different today about DCA, but that took me a few decades to develop...

There was a time when DCI added fuel to that fire, when it came to the perception of what DCA was all about.

The hatchet-job "feature" on DCA they did for one of the telecasts... 1989, I think it was... portrayed DCA and all-age corps as a less-than-savory alternative, shall we say. LOL.

That, plus the mantra on several broadcasts back then that "your drum corps career is over" when you age out of DCI.

To DCI's credit... they, as an organization, don't do stuff like that anymore on a wide scale. Full props to them for that.

However, I've heard stories, from credible sources,  of it still happening on an individual-corps level. One DCI East... 2007, somewhere around then... a director of a top DCI corps called the defending DCA champion (who was doing an exhibition at the show) a "bunch of drunks."  That is so dishonest it's laughable. That DCA corps is the furthest thing from a "bunch of drunks."

Edited by Fran Haring

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled Cadets 2018 thread.  :tongue:

Nice segue from '17 show to 2018 season.

A Letter from George Hopkins

First of all, I send wishes from all of us here at The Cadets for a great Holiday season.

We here in Allentown, have been busy with recruiting, audition camps, design staff meetings and the many preparations that precede a winter of creativity and a summer of performance. We got started on Labor Day and we have been moving at full speed ever since.

It would be great to sit back and relax, just a bit as the holidays approach, but that’s pretty impossible. Perhaps a few presents on Christmas, a trip to midnight mass,..

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That DCA corps is the furthest thing from a "bunch of drunks."

The only corps I can think of stayed home. 

• Haha 3

Before DCI even started the Founders of what was to later become DCI asked the Office Holders of DCA if they would be willing to meet with a few of them to provide them advice, counsel, and suggestions on how to go about formulating their new Drum Corps Circuit. Without hesitation, the DCA Executive Director and his Board replied that they'd be more than happy to meet with these people to provide them guidance, suggestions, recommendations for their new start up Circuit. DCA had been in operation for a few years, at the time ( late 60's ) and the Founders of the potential new circuit were interested in learning what might work, what might not work and so forth. And so  in 1971, they met. DCA was exceedingly helpful in sharing their knowledge and guidance,  according to those I spoke too afterwards...and the Founders took those recommendations and suggestions to heart, and along with their own ideas, in 1972, they formulated what we know today as DCI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Before DCI even started the Founders of what was to later become DCI asked the Office Holders of DCA if they would be willing to meet with a few of them to provide them advice, counsel, and suggestions on how to go about formulating their new Drum Corps Circuit. Without hesitation, the DCA Executive Director and his Board replied that they'd be more than happy to meet with these people to provide them guidance, suggestions, recommendations for their new start up Circuit. DCA had been in operation for a few years, at the time ( late 60's ) and the Founders of the potential new circuit were interested in learning what might work, what might not work and so forth. And so  in 1971, they met. DCA was exceedingly helpful in sharing their knowledge and guidance,  according to those I spoke too afterwards...and the Founders took those recommendations and suggestions to heart, and along with their own ideas, in 1972, they formulated what we know today as DCI.

True.  DCA was formed 1963-64, in part to give the corps more control over their destinies as opposed to letting the service organizations call all the shots... and its first championship was held in 1965. The Reading Buccaneers won that first championship. Some things apparently never change.  :tongue:

Seven original member corps... three are still going today. Buccaneers, Hurricanes, and Skyliners.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

.  DCA  first championship was held in 1965. The Reading Buccaneers won that first championship. Some things apparently never change.  :tongue:

My Dad took me to that 1st DCA Championship in '65...... Milford, Ct.   Later, I bought the LP recording of the show.'  Wore that sucker out.......lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1