Crossmen 2018

According the Masillon thread, the Crossmen took off their headgear for part of the show.  I'd love to know what the GE advantage is to all these corps going without hats this year, if anyone can explain it.  

Or is there another reason it's so popular?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

According the Masillon thread, the Crossmen took off their headgear for part of the show.  I'd love to know what the GE advantage is to all these corps going without hats this year, if anyone can explain it.  

I think designers believe it creates a better connection between the marchers and the audience.

That's a disappointing change, though. The aussies are ######, and I've commended the Crossmen for sticking with them in spite of design trends.

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

some believe it is a quick way to present a different look and to bring the judge's focus back to experience a different mood or energy. Some think that for moods that are to be relaxed or laid back, going hatless does the trick. Bluecoats this year disprove that. Some believe the mms are cooler without the headgear and play better. But Crossmen followed Crown's approach of fakos by having topless headgear. I think it's usually from a designer without better ideas.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

some believe it is a quick way to present a different look and to bring the judge's focus back to experience a different mood or energy. Some think that for moods that are to be relaxed or laid back, going hatless does the trick. Bluecoats this year disprove that. Some believe the mms are cooler without the headgear and play better. But Crossmen followed Crown's approach of fakos by having topless headgear. I think it's usually from a designer without better ideas.

Wow, I didn't even notice that before, but yeah. Those look goofy as hell.

Even still, I'd prefer they keep those aussie-shaped things on their domes.

With the usual caveat that the scores are from different competitions, less than two points separate 8th and 12th.  On the same day last year, 4.75 points seperated 8th and 12th.  2.925 seperated 9th and 12th.

While the Crossmen are seeded 12th, the competition is much closer than last year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drumcorpsfan2018 said:

From what I heard the designers are trying to remove the aussies completely by next season. That's the plan anyways. :/

as headgear goes away, this is inevitable.

That said, the aussies are definitely not what is keeping the Crossmen from scoring higher than 12th.

12 hours ago, drumcorpsfan2018 said:

agreed. :/ The show didn't grow to where I had hoped, but I still enjoy the music aspect of it! :) 

Their strength on the sheets is Visual caption, though.