Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

Just now, MikeN said:

OT, but the good news is that almost certainly will not be the performance on the DVD's / CD's.  Wish they'd had that option back in '89.

Mike

True.

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

If I am engaging with another poster and their responses are in total agreement with my opinions, I tend to let them have the last post. If, however, they call me out for being a troll, then I will keep trolling, and trolling  and will, in those situations, try to have the last post.

FTFY

26 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

FTFY

Usage

220px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png

The advice to ignore rather than engage with a troll is sometimes phrased as "Please do not feed the trolls."

Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation.

As noted in an OS News article titled "Why People Troll and How to Stop Them" (25 January 2012), "The traditional definition of trolling includes intent. That is, trolls purposely disrupt forums. This definition is too narrow. Whether someone intends to disrupt a thread or not, the results are the same if they do."[6][7]Others have addressed the same issue, e.g., Claire Hardaker, in her Ph.D. thesis[7] "Trolling in asynchronous computer-mediated communication: From user discussions to academic definitions."[8] Popular recognition of the existence (and prevalence) of non-deliberate, "accidental trolls", has been documented widely, in sources as diverse as Nicole Sullivan's keynote speech at the 2012 Fluent Conference, titled "Don't Feed the Trolls"[9] Gizmodo,[10]online opinions on the subject written by Silicon Valley executives[11] and comics.[12]

Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore it,[citation needed] because responding tends to encourage trolls to continue disruptive posts – hence the often-seen warning: "Please do not feed the trolls".

The "trollface" is an image occasionally used to indicate trolling in Internet culture.[13][14][15]

At times, the word can be abused to refer to anyone with controversial opinions they disagree with.[16] Such usages goes against the ordinary meaning of troll in multiple ways. While psychologists have determined that the dark triad traits are common among internet trolls, some observers claim trolls don't actually believe the controversial views they claim. Farhad Manjoo criticises this view, noting that if the person really is trolling, they are a lot more intelligent than their critics would believe.[16]

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And I think I could be a pretty good cut man in someone's corner.

Sorry Ghost, I'd choose Jacob " stitch " Duran in my corner... best in the biz, mo

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I don't . You misunderstand what I posted. I said above that in fact I am " ok," if the OP ( and others ) do not want us know the names of the  judges that the OP believes some are " too old " to be judging now. I merely added that it seems a rather peculiar request when we have often had the names of both these 2 judges mentioned on here many, many times before and accused of " judge bias ". The sudden concern here on DCP by a couple of posters  with not naming names, seems a new phenomenon, thats all. We've had judges on here charged with bias LOTS of times on DCP... with names provided. But I'm certainly ok, if we are changing course now, and deciding not to name judges who poster or two might believe could be biased for reason or another.

Got it and thank you for clarifying.  I was taught one way and it's one of those ingrained deals in my personality.  I coached and taught for over 30 years and have judged more than 20 and never once did I believe in throwing anyone's name out there attached to anything negative at all.  If it was positive then I certainly let anyone know.  If I believed that someone needed to move along away from something or needed to be called out for whatever negative thing that happened, it was a generalization, then if it wasn't taken care of, I would talk to them privately and let them know my feelings or decisions.  I would prefer that if someone had a problem with me, that they would try to resolve between the two of us privately.  So many times something is misunderstood or the conveyance needs to be made face to face in a private setting, rather than an open one, where embarrassing someone is the only thing that comes from attaching someone's name to something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

A shift in one position from Fri to Sat 'is consistent', a .5 shift in number from Fri to Sat 'is consistent'. It falls within the human subjective +/- tolerance level based on many, many, many factors. What You want is 'perfect consistency' from both the performers and judges. That is not possible.

A 2.5% error (which is .5 in a single caption) is not tolerated in any industry I know of.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Same business 'types', no to maybe. Same business 'model' beyond Yes! The structure, mindset, and implementation of the 'model' can certainly be emulated. Colts could use the model to target things that are geographically relevant not only to Dubuque, but to Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities.

Now I think you are disagreeing with me just to disagree.

4 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

That's what he does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Nope, the business model, the structure, can be emulated by any corps; and it can be successful if targeted to the geographical region.

• Like 1