Terri Schehr

2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

 

 

Well, there's only so much you can say about the order of performances for Saturday.

And further off topic, don't forget to come catch the Caballeros at the annual performance on the river, Friday night at 9:30. Feel free to grab me and say hi.

 

 

be careful where you grab him tho...his wife will be there too

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

did they ever come in to finals weekend? I dont remember seeing them on the historical scores site

I hear ya... me neither. They did compete against some DCA corps at the American Legion nationals, I'm pretty sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

 

And further off topic, don't forget to come catch the Caballeros at the annual performance on the river, Friday night at 9:30.

Those concerts by the Caballeros Friday night and the Caballeros Alumni Saturday night are a great perk for the folks at the downtown hotels, no doubt about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I guess I'll take my lumps...I've been coming to DCA since '94, and it just seemed as though the Govies were "always" here, and that whole intro about being the oldest competing drum corps, etc. was what I was thinking but I am quite sure about the last part of that...they were Class A, went Open last year, back to Class A this year.  As for the mandate about inactive corps coming back as Class A, the mind is getting muddled from too many brain cells killed off during the college years...perhaps it was DCI? that at one time had the requirement; I'm thinking back to Magic of Orlando?  and I think it was put in to protect corps that took time off because they got in over their heads to ease back in with more prudent policies in place.  Unfortunately, the latest weather forecast isn't looking too rosy for Sunday...but I'm hoping that the performers will knock our socks off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

OK, I guess I'll take my lumps...I've been coming to DCA since '94, and it just seemed as though the Govies were "always" here, and that whole intro about being the oldest competing drum corps, etc. was what I was thinking but I am quite sure about the last part of that...they were Class A, went Open last year, back to Class A this year.  As for the mandate about inactive corps coming back as Class A, the mind is getting muddled from too many brain cells killed off during the college years...perhaps it was DCI? that at one time had the requirement; I'm thinking back to Magic of Orlando?  and I think it was put in to protect corps that took time off because they got in over their heads to ease back in with more prudent policies in place.  Unfortunately, the latest weather forecast isn't looking too rosy for Sunday...but I'm hoping that the performers will knock our socks off!

Govies definitely were A, then Open last year, and back to A this year!!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Skokie Indians":

WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY "Back in the day " the MidWest had a "Threepeat" Legion National Champ in the form of the old Skokie Indians.  They beat the best seniors of the day 1955-57 for the "Orange Flag", and their streak was only stopped by Hawthorne in 1958.

They became the "Men of Brass" senior corps in the mid 1960's and did try to mix it up with the early DCA pack, sadly without much success.

Elphaba      :flower:

Now you're talking my dad's era.  He marched a little American Legion corps out of Plymouth/La Porte, IN in 1956. He remmers Skokie and the Boys of 76 winning at a lot of the shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we're here.  We had some unwelcome adventures at the Buffalo airport but no need to dwell on the negative....

We went to Dinosaur bbq, which is so touristy and cliche but it was really good.   

The weather is a bit chilly but nothing that requires more than a light jacket.  

So far, so good.  The hotel is great, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 9:22 PM, Fran Haring said:

A breakthrough year for them in '99... 4th (after their first Top 5 in '98) , and the first time they beat the Caballeros.

I was Drum Major that year in '99 when MBI beat the Cabs.

It still holds a special place in my heart.

Standing on the front sideline with the other esteemed Drum majors during the finale, and the scores were announced, I really couldn't believe that we had finally topped the Caballeros - a corps that for decades had personified the elite of DCA. And don't get me wrong. I still admire the tremendous Cabs. A corps both resilient and commanding! But not to hear your corps' name while the countdown to 1st Place is going on is an excruciating experience. And one that just gets your adrenaline going.

At that moment on the front sideline in 1999, I had to cry a little that this scrappy corps from Minnesota had broken into the top ranks of DCA. I think a lot of us MBI members celebrated a little too much that night after the finals. :) It was a moment that (I hoped) told the drum corps world that Minnesota Brass was a serious corps.

And it was (and still is) to the credit of people like Joel Matuzak, Gavin Burnham, Dave Whitaker, and alums like Frank Lozar (RIP) and Dick Maki (RIP) who sustained the corps throughout it's long history. Personally contributing thousands of $$ to help the corps through the worst times.

After 1999, the corps was still tentative with ups and downs for a few more years.

But then came 2008, when MBI took an unequivocal 2nd Place at DCA Championships. And that was the first year I felt that MBI could do any show it chose, regardless of a particular "style." It established itself as a truly mature corps that could experiment with just about anything. Even though it's heart remained with its jazz tradition.

It's been a great ride! All for the love of drum corps.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, we're here.  We had some unwelcome adventures at the Buffalo airport but no need to dwell on the negative....

We went to Dinosaur bbq, which is so touristy and cliche but it was really good.   

The weather is a bit chilly but nothing that requires more than a light jacket.  

So far, so good.  The hotel is great, 

Remember, thanks to the Bills, the area code in Buffalo is 0-4-4

 

:bluedevil:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron H said:

I was Drum Major that year in '99 when MBI beat the Cabs.

It still holds a special place in my heart.

Standing on the front sideline with the other esteemed Drum majors during the finale, and the scores were announced, I really couldn't believe that we had finally topped the Caballeros - a corps that for decades had personified the elite of DCA. And don't get me wrong. I still admire the tremendous Cabs. A corps both resilient and commanding! But not to hear your corps' name while the countdown to 1st Place is going on is an excruciating experience. And one that just gets your adrenaline going.

At that moment on the front sideline in 1999, I had to cry a little that this scrappy corps from Minnesota had broken into the top ranks of DCA. I think a lot of us MBI members celebrated a little too much that night after the finals. :) It was a moment that (I hoped) told the drum corps world that Minnesota Brass was a serious corps.

And it was (and still is) to the credit of people like Joel Matuzak, Gavin Burnham, Dave Whitaker, and alums like Frank Lozar (RIP) and Dick Maki (RIP) who sustained the corps throughout it's long history. Personally contributing thousands of $$ to help the corps through the worst times.

After 1999, the corps was still tentative with ups and downs for a few more years.

But then came 2008, when MBI took an unequivocal 2nd Place at DCA Championships. And that was the first year I felt that MBI could do any show it chose, regardless of a particular "style." It established itself as a truly mature corps that could experiment with just about anything. Even though it's heart remained with its jazz tradition.

It's been a great ride! All for the love of drum corps.

to me, I knew MBI had fully arrived at prelims in 99....when the drum panel for finals, sitting in the stands, stood up for the end of the drum solo cheering. in fact given a few issues Bucs had at prelims, I was sure MBI won drums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.