What would happen if a corps said, f it i am going old school

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

I don’t necessarily consider late ‘80’s - early ‘90’s as “old school” and not because I marched then.  Those were the years when corps were really pushing the limits as far as musical complexity, tempo and volume.  They were exciting times.  The creative staff’s really new how to get creative and optimize to create some of the most exciting and memorable shows ever.  If today’s corps “could” create to the quality of that era crowds would go crazy!  But, I don’t think they can.  Today’s creative staffs are blinded so much by technology and diversification that they are losing touch with what drum corps really is.

What drum corps really is? Interesting

3 hours ago, glory said:

Every time a question like this comes up I scratch my head and ask why.

No one in his right mind thinks the Green Bay Packers could succeed today by using the same schemes that won them so many championships in the 60s. 

Well, 2 things we know for certain with this. a)  the Green Bay Packers can't seem to win with todays plays and " schemes" they're using now. And b) the Green Bay Packers sure won a lot of games with the plays and" schemes" they used to have.

Edited by BRASSO

On 11/25/2017 at 2:47 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

(I'm not entirely joking, by the way. Who says a corps has to always use every possible element? Lots of corps don't use cymbal lines. A few do. Why not play around similarly with the composition of the rest of the ensemble? A year without snare drums, or trumpets, or mallets? Experiment!)

Heh... reminds me of what might be a top for another thread...

But the "trends" in drum corps/marching music through the years... how do they get started, and who decides this?   Is there some sort of secret society like the Freemasons or Trilateral Commission pulling the strings behind the scenes? :8_laughing:

For instance, I remember when seemingly every top corps marched, say, 10 snares.... then that went away and every corps was marching something like 6 snares. Not just a corps here and there.... everyone, or at least every finalist contender.

That's just one of many examples. But how does this stuff get started?  Who makes the first move?

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

? :8_laughing:

For instance, I remember when seemingly every top corps marched, say, 10 snares.... then that went away and every corps was marching something like 6 snares. 

Front Ensembles. Corps that used to have 10 snares either did not have a FE, or small ones.

Corps are allowed 150 on the field now ( used to be 135 allowed max in DCI ). Its really up to the Corps themselves how they choose to allot these 150 among their Guard/ Brass/ Percussion/ DM's sections. I recall the days when 2-4 Contras were what Corps utilized. Madison Scouts went out with 20 Tubas a few years back... but are now back to 10-16 or so. Elite  level Corps used to go out with as many 84 in brass and maybe 30 in Guard. Now the trend at the moment seems to be to go out with larger Guards.. over 40. ( not surprising, given how important this section now is at the moment to scores/ placements)

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

People would be bored and the group would fall in placement. 

Maybe.. maybe not. As for being " bored ", for context,  hardly a week goes by on reddit when some young poster that marched recently states that they hated performing their Corps show, or in some manner found it unfulfilling for them that summer.  While certainly not the norm, thats regrettable for them. If any of us here are " bored " with a show, we are out under 100 bucks being " bored " watching that performance. But this marcher busted their tail and payed over 3000 grand or some such to be " bored " with their show given to them by the adults in that Corps. So being unfullfilled in Corps in no phenomenon, as each season.... even today...., marchers seek out other Corps in hopes of being more fullfilled, more challenged, and less " bored " by the overall experience.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

But the "trends" in drum corps/marching music through the years... how do they get started, and who decides this?   Is there some sort of secret society like the Freemasons or Trilateral Commission pulling the strings behind the scenes? :8_laughing:

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK... that answers a lot of questions....LOL

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

No Fran.. that secret cabal ( G7 ) you are describing, got their strings lit up like a Christmas tree . :xmas:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

People would be bored and the group would fall in placement. 

Yes. 

Someone posted a video of Spirit playing "Let It Be Me" from 1979 in another thread. I watched it and couldn't wait for it to end - and not for the final hit.

No offense Spirit. I loved it back in the day. Now it's nostalgia. It's great in its own context. It doesn't have to be great in comparison. That's why reviving the old programs is a bad idea.

HH  

Edited by glory
  • Like 1