Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can see where this is going.  I started this thread and maybe the moderators should close it now.  

No need Terri... I just shared a point of view and will not belabor the point since this is an important discussion.

• Like 2

Just now, MusicManNJ said:

No need Terri... I just shared a point of view and will not belabor the point since this is an important discussion.

I just don’t think we need to relitigate the other person again.  Everyone has chosen their corner.  No reason to revisit. 

21 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Tell that to Scott-Lee Atchison

a stink was raised on here several years ago. As soon as I saw the article, I remembered it

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just don’t think we need to relitigate the other person again.  Everyone has chosen their corner.  No reason to revisit. 

I removed my posts to avoid side-tracking the discussion

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

OK. I think I understand you better. Thanks. I guess you are saying is, given what we read in the article, the jury is still out on how Fred handles this recent development. You are OK with the initial hire.  Makes some sense.

Although to be saying "everyone knew about it for 8 years" is not reality. Drum corps insiders? Sure. But things have been mentioned on DCP, Reddit, etc and they disappear quickly. And honestly, DCP and Reddit are still just fanatics.  I would think if you polled parents at Crossmen, the awareness would be far short of everyone. I suspect some feet would have been held to the fire a long time ago if that was the case.

Thanks again for the civility!

Not sure I would say I would have made the hire based on what we know. But I understand how it was done.

Good point on the breadth of knowledge.

And Thanks for the words... I try to add to the conversation and not be combative (or snarky) and have been mostly successful (I hope!)

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

1) Federal and state background check for any adult working with minors

2) Verification of all past places of residence included as part of the application.

3) Verification of all past places of employment.

These would be enough for any competent person in charge of hiring to do a quick search of court records and reasons for leaving their previous employers as well as any conspicuous gaps in employment.

No, it's not asking too much. 

As for whether or not to give somebody fired for, convicted of, or even suspected of harming children a "second chance," I guess that will be up to the corps unless DCI implements something draconian. 

In my opinion, for a corps to even think about being an outlet for "second chances" of this kind is beyond stupid.  it was before the Hopkins story came out, and it is now. 

Maybe this is what our discussion should focus on...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I'm merely comparing the two - Scott was vilified here on DCP and no one would say he deserved a second chance (though he also still denies he did what he was convicted of; he was much younger than Moody;  it had happened 15 year ago; and there was no indication he had done anything since then).

it's been brought up here. a search that took two minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

How about it, Crossmen board of directors?  Why is your corps director so apparently tone deaf about having a perv on his staff?    

Looking at the info, it appears they have a very small BOD, with the Exec Director also being the Board Chair and his wife another officer. I wouldn't count on any Board action there.