Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Looking at the info, it appears they have a very small BOD, with the Exec Director also being the Board Chair and his wife another officer. I wouldn't count on any Board action there.

well, not of their own volition. I would imagine the alumni in the old home base is on fire right now....they just voted out Hop from their HOF. Seems the guy that sold Crossmen shared some traits with the guy that bought them

12 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Looking at the info, it appears they have a very small BOD, with the Exec Director also being the Board Chair and his wife another officer. I wouldn't count on any Board action there.

Oh boy. Here we go again. 

25 minutes ago, afd said:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-04-02/news/os-moody-sexy-student-text-messages-20100401_1_text-messages-band-director-female-student

More like "beyond creepy"  text messages to that student.

Nothing "sexy" about them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

More like "beyond creepy"  text messages to that student.

Nothing "sexy" about them.

He was a Band Director...not an assistant. He was in charge and sent over 10 sexual texts to a student of his. That people is a BIG RED FLAG!!!!.

• Like 4

I don't know Morrison, but  I can understand people who believe in redemption, and I respect that impulse. Were the staffer a man once arrested for shoplifting, that'd be one thing. But a grown man communicating with a student about how he'd like to have sex with them is a very different type of situation, one where the subject's arousal by that kind of power and proximity is only going to be triggered by putting him in a situation where he has a lot of 16-20 year old women in his charge. 

To an extent, it'd like hiring a recovering alcoholic to manage a liquor store. Yes, you're giving someone a chance at redemption by giving them that job, but you're also putting them in the worst possible circumstances when it comes to battling their demons.

There are lots of talented, dedicated people out there who would be happy to have the opportunity to work in this activity. There's no reason why any staff member or administrator who has evidenced poor judgment or a lack of control around teenagers and young adults should not find that their history disallows them from being part of the community. There are plenty of others whose interests are in the development of the members and furthering the art form, and who can respect boundaries - finding them is not really that hard.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's been brought up here: a search that took two minutes.

Interesting to see some people in that thread defending Moody.

My take is that he deserved a second chance, just not in a field where he interacts directly with students.

• Thanks 1

There are lots of  talented, honorable,, trustworthy young adults of unimpeachable character around younger youth, that are ready, willing, and able to fill the staff and Mgt shoes of any older skanks that still might remain in this activity we all say we love.  No more " business as usual". No more " second chances ". No more excuses that " well, it was years ago, " and somehow we hope/ believe he's had a surgical character transplant in the interim. No more environments where " I felt like if I went to mgt  who hired the guy, I'd be damaging the Corps,"..... or...." no one there took it seriously ".... . If this isn't a serious wake up call to DCI, with alarm bells going off left and right that for WAY too long, some bad actors were able to work freely in Corps, then this will have all been for naught. Its regrettable that the shady characters  have become what is read in the national media of late, when there are so many thousands of great and wonderful people doing thankless, wonderful, life enriching things with young people. Many of them unpaid too. Thats so sad. Thats why all the good ones need to stand up and take back the DCI Brand that is being so damaged lately. I hope the good ones do so. I believe they will. But its going to be painful the remaining cleansing that needs to take place and that apparently was long overdue. Decades of this is not going to be solved in a week, a month, a year. Its going to take time to clean house.. DCI Drum Corps will come out better in the end. Too many good people in this activity to let it all fall down on their watch because of some bad apples allowed to hang around this youth activity. .. along with the wholly irresponsible actions of those who hire/ retain/ or approve the association with their Corps and with DCI of adults with historically known high levels of risk behaviors among the unknowing/ vulnerable/ the young.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I hate to ask this, but: is drum corps getting a reputation as an activity that for decades has buried bad behavior?

Appears to be. And earned? Unfortunately yeah, because of a few skunks and enablers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, afd said:

He was a Band Director...not an assistant. He was in charge and sent over 10 sexual texts to a student of his. That people is a BIG RED FLAG!!!!.

He got off easy when he only got his teaching license revoked for 5 years.