In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

15 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m sure 60 minutes would love to get their hands on this whole mess. 

Tonight was long term sexual harassment and assault at the Spotted Pig restaurant. Came in at end so guess some trendy place with high name people involved. Would 60 Minutes switch kids for trendy place.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Oh my... can you imagine that?

And if Mike Wallace or Ed Bradley were still around.... holy mackerel, they'd be on this like starch on pasta.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

But, why would you do that, Jim?  How does that help the activity?

60 minutes isn’t interested in drum corps. If they were interested they could have got the information off the AP wire. They don’t need me. 

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

60 minutes isn’t interested in drum corps. If they were interested they could have got the information off the AP wire. They don’t need me. 

Well, then maybe your contention that they'd "love to get their hands on it" was just so much flame-throwing then, right?

I understand that the new policy may not be to your liking, but it is a significant and distinct change in the nature of the activity's governance.  Nothing like this result has ever happened before.

There is significant reason to believe that efforts such as this will fail again as they have similarly failed in the past.  But, this time, the circumstances are different.  There's a new sheriff in town and, apparently, she comes carrying big sidearms, and we all hope she knows how to use them.

If 60 minutes isn't interested in DC, good.  I'm glad.  The additional pounding by people, otherwise not interested in our activity, is unnecessary, IMO, and damaging to the activity at its worst.  I don't wish that on drum corps and I'm guessing you don't either.

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Example - "toxic masculinity". What does that mean to you? 

Elliott Rodger, Chris Harper-Mercer, Alek Minassian, and apparently Dimitrios Pagourtzis.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, yogitom said:

The "accused" should remain anonymous until guilt is found. In this knee jerk #MeToo day and age a mere accusation without any burden of proof can tarnish a persons reputation and cost them their job.

If the accusers come forward, then the accused can and should be known.  The accused then has potential redress in court and in the media.  If the accusers are anonymous then it gets a little more dicey because it lowers the threshold for a false accusation and there is no way to challenge.  I have no problem destroying the career of someone who has misbehaved, but I'm not anxious to see it done with no standards.  Before the accused is named there needs to be some type of vetting process. 

DCI will need to think this one over.  Same is true with the staff/MM relationships.  It can't be an anonymous tip that creates consequences all by itself.  There will need to be some type of investigative process.

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I haven't read it yet, but you and Jim have been consistent here...

There's not teeth in the darn thing?

Dang, my hopes were beginning to come up.  Maybe this is just a needed baby-step?

Is it possible that a new Chair of the BOARD (A WOMAN!  WOO!  That should stop the cries of inequity of opportunity!) is able to amend the document to include teeth that were never possible until now.

Dang... exciting, actually.

There’s no teeth because the Fox is guarding the hen house. DCI’s shown their track record on this sucks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

If they wanted to they’d have been there, they have bigger fish to fry. Unless more comes out that’s worse than Hop, they won’t touch it

Edited by Jeff Ream

Elliott Rodger, Chris Harper-Mercer, Alek Minassian, and apparently Dimitrios Pagourtzis.

And those are just the lowest-hanging fruit: three self-identified "incels" who explicitly linked their heinous acts to their fury that women were denying them the sex they felt they "deserved", plus, most topically, someone whose first victim allegedly was a girl who turned down his advances in public.

But the vast majority of mass murderers have a history of domestic violence. It's possibly the most common warning sign.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Nested quote trouble.
  • Like 1