In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The topic is a valid one to discuss in terms of drum corps and how it relates. A few posts wandering away from that are probably not going to get a thread shut down, especially if they provide context. But when post after post goes far afield from drum corps, that is when a thread is apt to get closed. That has been the policy of DCP since it started.

What you said may be spot on, but you avoided the big elephant in the room that DCP itself is lacking female participation on the management level, both admins and moderators.

Edited by xandandl

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

What you said may be spot on, but you avoided the big elephant in the room that DCP itself is lacking female participation on the management level, both admins and moderators.

There have in the past been female admins. Not sure if they left or just became inactive. It is a voluntary position, and most people have very full lives without taking on the time it entails to be a moderator/admin here. I know I am a pretty lousy moderator.

Edit...there is still one female moderator showing on the list, but she has not been here for 10 months or so (see above).

Edited by MikeD
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

DCP is a voluntary place to which one subscribes.  Unlike drum corps, there is no presumption that you paid a fee to join this club but, if you did pay a fee to see the member section of DCP, my understanding is that they're very liberal about returning that fee if you're dissatisfied with the service or the staff.

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

There have in the past been female admins. Not sure if they left or just became inactive. It is a voluntary position, and most people have very full lives without taking on the time it entails to be a moderator/admin here. I know I am a pretty lousy moderator.

Edit...there is still one female moderator showing on the list, but she has not been here for 10 months or so (see above).

Yep forget who asked me years ago and turned down for that reason.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Maybe DCP isn't the ripe place to discuss this at this moment. 

It seems none of the DCP admins. or mods are female (unless Toby is a girl's name here.)  Pot can't call the kettle black... 

I'm curious which of the DCP admins or mods are calling any kettle anything?

It seems you have some issues with DCP admins and mods that are not related to this topic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Danielle and Jami both were admins at one time, and their lives moved on. You have to have females that WANT to do the job too ya know.

• Like 1

I’ve held me tongue on this for a while to wait and see how DCI would respond, and it seems that most here don’t want to have a serious discussion about this issue, but I find this new “Code of Conduct” to be grossly inadequate and, quite frankly, pathetic.  As a few others have pointed out, it has no teeth at all.  It is basically a “passing the buck” policy.  It’s nothing more than DCI telling the corps “you better behave yourselves” without imposing any type of consequences if they don’t.  At a bare minimum, there should be a background check requirement and a system put in place for people to report misconduct directly to DCI.  If DCI is not going to step up and provide some real oversight, no one else will and the problems will persist.  God knows that leaving this up to the corps hasn’t worked in the past and there is no reason to believe it is going to work now.  If disqualification of corps from participation in DCI events isn't on the table, nothing will change.  I love drum corps, but I don’t know how I can continue to support DCI when they refuse to take this issue seriously.  I’m frankly shocked that they haven’t lost sponsorships and venues over this.  

I’m also shocked that any sensible attorney would have looked at this policy and found it satisfactory.  DCI is on notice after Hopkins and if they don’t start implementing effective mechanisms to stop what happened at YEA! from ever happening again, you can be sure that the lawsuits against DCI itself will start piling up the next time something happens.  I expect there are already some in the pipelines over YEA!  I’ve been critical of the apparent incompetence of DCI in other, far less important areas (their rights management program is pathetic), but this is beyond the pale.  Frankly, I think its time for a change at the top.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I’ve held me tongue on this for a while to wait and see how DCI would respond, and it seems that most here don’t want to have a serious discussion about this issue, but I find this new “Code of Conduct” to be grossly inadequate and, quite frankly, pathetic.  As a few others have pointed out, it has no teeth at all.  It is basically a “passing the buck” policy.  It’s nothing more than DCI telling the corps “you better behave yourselves” without imposing any type of consequences if they don’t.  At a bare minimum, there should be a background check requirement and a system put in place for people to report misconduct directly to DCI.  If DCI is not going to step up and provide some real oversight, no one else will and the problems will persist.  God knows that leaving this up to the corps hasn’t worked in the past and there is no reason to believe it is going to work now.  If disqualification of corps from participation in DCI events isn't on the table, nothing will change.  I love drum corps, but I don’t know how I can continue to support DCI when they refuse to take this issue seriously.  I’m frankly shocked that they haven’t lost sponsorships and venues over this.  

I’m also shocked that any sensible attorney would have looked at this policy and found it satisfactory.  DCI is on notice after Hopkins and if they don’t start implementing effective mechanisms to stop what happened at YEA! from ever happening again, you can be sure that the lawsuits against DCI itself will start piling up the next time something happens.  I expect there are already some in the pipelines over YEA!  I’ve been critical of the apparent incompetence of DCI in other, far less important areas (their rights management program is pathetic), but this is beyond the pale.  Frankly, I think its time for a change at the top.

i briefly in a place or two called it worthless. i apologize if i didnt give a bullet point by bullet point breakdown on why

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i briefly in a place or two called it worthless. i apologize if i didnt give a bullet point by bullet point breakdown on why

I know.  You were one of the few that I was referring to.  Doesn’t seem to be many others interested in discussing it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I know.  You were one of the few that I was referring to.  Doesn’t seem to be many others interested in discussing it.

They are very small personnel and money wise.  Perhaps you can offer your services on a pro bono basis?