DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

23 hours ago, brassboy said:

@Liahona I might not be "Liking" every photo you post, but I sure do appreciate them. I hope YOU'RE actually able to watch and enjoy the show as you're doing this.

@brassboy

Yes I was still enjoying show for sure! IT WAS JUST SO AWESOME!!!! I'm a bit of a muti-tasker at heart...so it was right up my alley so to speak :-)

I didn't get a chance to read all these posts...that is why I'm responding now...of course this was after my VERY LONG sleep today after all that travel since Wednesday...haha

So much fun though...INCREDIBLE week! :-)

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bacmominator said:

Eat em Up Boston!! #SOS

I didn't get a chance for my shout out!!!!   ...haha

34 minutes ago, Liahona said:

YES...But I thought it was the CONQUEST shots...all of us BAC alums and folks HONK our car horns to other BAC folks  ••|•|••• ...been a tradition for DECADES...lol

That totally makes sense, too.  If the corps vehicles have always done that in Allentown, I never noticed it until last night.  Very cool tradition!  I love the way they made the Conquest quote work so well in this year’s show.  To me, it’s THE moment of the show!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, brassboy said:

God, I'm so slow...I never realized that the "morse code" set at the end of their opener matched the horn stab rhythm at the end of that piece. 

@brassboy

Unless you're in the military or an aviation guy these days...most don't really know morse code...obviously the famous SOS morse is fairly widely known...I am a pilot so morse is very familiar to me...if it was morse it would be I E S...

1200px-International_Morse_Code.svg.png

The SET is ••|•|••• which are the Conquest SHOTS from the piece Conquest March (Captain from Castile) written by Alfred Newman in 1947.

I've cued the PART with the shots from the piece...right at 21 seconds...

Edited by Liahona
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

@brassboy

Unless you're in the military or an aviation guy these days...most don't really know morse code...obviously the famous SOS morse is fairly widely known...I am a pilot so morse is very familiar to me...if it was morse it would be I E S...

1200px-International_Morse_Code.svg.png

The SET is ••|•|••• which are the Conquest SHOTS from the piece Conquest March (Captain from Castile) written by Alfred Newman in 1947.

I've cued the PART with the shots from the piece...right at 21 seconds...

Morse Code:  Or have been in Boy (maybe Girl) Scouts.

Or Ham radio. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, quijeros said:

Welp, I feel really really dumb now. I've spent the better part of the season trying to figure out what the oo/o/ooo meant on the field. I looked up the Morse code for it and everything. It just now dawned on me. :doh::doh:

23 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Still surprised people are confused by them. The first time I saw them, I immediately thought of Lion King and the elephant graveyard. To each his own I guess...

Dennis was actually quizzing me on a few of the shows...and asked me what I thought they were...I hedged my bet citing a few probable answers to which one was correct...haha

I finally made it through this whole thread...

That was WORK!!!

A bit harder than taking all the photos at the show...haha ;-)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Why do we rehash this same topic every year?

The Corps are NOT responsible for sync licenses since they do not put out the product requiring one. For their performances, they only need arranging and performing licenses which are somewhat easier to get than sync. (Heck -- in college we got a letter from a publisher begging us to put their song in one of our halftimes, with no fees required, which we did as it fit one of our shows.)

As I understand it, the copyright holder(s) (usually the publisher) grants arranging and performing rights, but the artists themselves can veto sync rights which apparently some have in the past. They don't need any reason to say no.

I didn't mention mechanical rights which are for audio only. 

It doesn't have to be that way.  DCI could easily require corps to obtain sync licenses as a condition of competing. They have to this point chosen not to, which I think is stupid.  They are limiting their accessibility by failing to make performances available to fans on demand.  Maybe they are OK with that, but it is worthy of discussion.