DCI Eastern Classic – Saturday, August 4, 2018

I have a question about Bernie Crum.

Is DCI or Allentown responsible for  making sure seats are numbered ?

For anyone who doesn't know,the top row in sections Q and S are numbered

differently then the other rows (additional seats).

The seats in the top row didn't have numbers .

The people  sitting there were using the next row down as a guide.

That meant there wasn't enough room for everyone who had tickets.

Nobody wanted to make a scene,but it meant some people ended up having to stand

behind their significant other for the whole show.

The "orange shirts"  saw the problem,but none of them made any effort to come up and 

address the problem.

I know at the Clifton shows YEA used to put temporary stickers for the seat numbers.

That would have solved the problem.

I assist with pre-event preparations at Allentown. I was not aware of the numbering problems you describe and heard nothing of any problems of that type. There are about 20 individuals who prepare the stadium early on Friday morning. As you know, the amount of signage added for our event is very extensive.

Several years ago, when the stadium was renovated to switch from wooden seats to aluminum, the new aluminum seats had permanent numbers already fastened by the manufacturer. I do know, various aluminum sections have been damaged (by jumping on them at football games?) with new planks put down here and there. PERHAPS, some of those lengths are not numbered. An inspection of all rows is probably in order. All tickets are printed by DCI in Indianapolis based upon existing stadium diagrams. The local set-up team would be unaware of what specific seat numbers are ticketed and then sold.  We would have no problem affixing new information to the seats if instructed by DCI ahead of time.

I can tell you, the top rows of every section are subject to persons standing up, ticketed or not. No doubt, some do "fudge" their way in.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I can assure you, we will investigate the present numbering conditions prior to the next DCI-East Weekend.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I assist with pre-event preparations at Allentown. I was not aware of the numbering problems you describe and heard nothing of any problems of that type. There are about 20 individuals who prepare the stadium early on Friday morning. As you know, the amount of signage added for our event is very extensive.

Several years ago, when the stadium was renovated to switch from wooden seats to aluminum, the new aluminum seats had permanent numbers already fastened by the manufacturer. I do know, various aluminum sections have been damaged (by jumping on them at football games?) with new planks put down here and there. PERHAPS, some of those lengths are not numbered. An inspection of all rows is probably in order. All tickets are printed by DCI in Indianapolis based upon existing stadium diagrams. The local set-up team would be unaware of what specific seat numbers are ticketed and then sold.  We would have no problem affixing new information to the seats if instructed by DCI ahead of time.

I can tell you, the top rows of every section are subject to persons standing up, ticketed or not. No doubt, some do "fudge" their way in.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I can assure you, we will investigate the present numbering conditions prior to the next DCI-East Weekend.

Thanks.

Appreciate it.

5 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

It doesn't have to be that way.  DCI could easily require corps to obtain sync licenses as a condition of competing. They have to this point chosen not to, which I think is stupid.  They are limiting their accessibility by failing to make performances available to fans on demand.  Maybe they are OK with that, but it is worthy of discussion.

There is no logical reason for the Corps to take on additional responsibility and expense for a secondary product.  And just how many Corps Directors would vote for this?  Somewhere south of zero.

If you want to get something done in this area, put pressure on the publishers and artists to make their music more available to non-profit organizations such as DCI. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, fanman said:

So we went from “super weird” to “I forgot, what’s this show about? A beast?” ;) 

I thought the show was about dragonfly's? Or some type of insect, considering the uniform???????:peek:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I have a question about Bernie Crum.

Is DCI or Allentown responsible for  making sure seats are numbered ?

For anyone who doesn't know,the top row in sections Q and S are numbered

differently then the other rows (additional seats).

The seats in the top row didn't have numbers .

The people  sitting there were using the next row down as a guide.

That meant there wasn't enough room for everyone who had tickets.

Nobody wanted to make a scene,but it meant some people ended up having to stand

behind their significant other for the whole show.

The "orange shirts"  saw the problem,but none of them made any effort to come up and 

address the problem.

I know at the Clifton shows YEA used to put temporary stickers for the seat numbers.

That would have solved the problem.

That is weird.  I sat ON THE TOP ROW in section S...All the seats were labeled just fine...

As a matter of fact it was HIGHER than Section R which is BELOW the pressbox.  I was at pressbox level 19 ROWS up. Approximately 40/45 yard line give or take.  It was the best seat I've ever had at Allentown...I could stand on my seat if I wanted...which Tom Blair stood on for both BAC and Crown ;-)

I always thought section R was better.  NOT even close IMO.  Besides Dennis Delucia and Tom Blair knew where the best seats were as well...LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I can tell you, the top rows of every section are subject to persons standing up, ticketed or not. 

I stood up for BAC show because of being at top row and Tom Blair one upped me by standing on his seat....haha

I know where we stood was not disruptive at all.

16 minutes ago, Liahona said:

That is weird.  I sat ON THE TOP ROW in section S...All the seats were labeled just fine...

As a matter of fact it was HIGHER than Section R which is BELOW the pressbox.  I was at pressbox level 19 ROWS up. Approximately 40/45 yard line give or take.  It was the best seat I've ever had at Allentown...I could stand on my seat if I wanted...which Tom Blair stood on for both BAC and Crown ;-)

I always thought section R was better.  NOT even close IMO.  Besides Dennis Delucia and Tom Blair knew where the best seats were as well...LOL

We were in Row 19 of section "Q".

Row 19 lines up with press box door.

Hence the extra seats in that row.

When we got to the row ,the first thing the people on the aisle said was that there were no seat numbers.

I have no problem if someone in the top row wants to stand.

What i did have a problem with was that several people in that row had to stand with their 

significant other seating in front them so that everyone who had seats to that row could fit.

One issue was that people in the row thought the seats numbers for the next row down lined up

with the top row.

They don't,but people weren't the most cooperative when it came to "shifting" so everyone could fit.

There were also a couple of older women who put their purses on the bleacher, and wouldn't put them on

their lap.

That ate up even more precious space.

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

We were in Row 19 of section "Q".

Row 19 lines up with press box door.

Hence the extra seats in that row.

There were also a couple of older women who put their purses on the bleacher, and wouldn't put them on

their lap.

That ate up even more precious space.

yes...I was in S on other side of pressbox door. It's funny you say that about purses because some woman literally had HER PURSE dead square on my seat...fortunately it was not crowded as about 6 seats were empty on top row in my section...first time I was not crowded in at Allentown.

Don't feel bad about crowding..in 2008 I bought TWO finals tickets for myself and people STILL crowded me in...

10 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

It doesn't have to be that way.  DCI could easily require corps to obtain sync licenses as a condition of competing. They have to this point chosen not to, which I think is stupid.  They are limiting their accessibility by failing to make performances available to fans on demand.  Maybe they are OK with that, but it is worthy of discussion.

I'm assuming your beliefs also include that money grows on trees?

• Haha 1