Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

15 hours ago, xandandl said:

Cadets distributed librettos as early as the mid-1970's with the No More War show.

Actually, the libretto was in 1971, the "America, the Brave" show, a themed show about the American Revolution. The 1972 "No More War" show had a poster that we distributed in the stands.

• Like 1

As a musician I love singing. Opera, contemporary, Broadway, English chorale (Cambridge Singers and the like), jazz vocals, and pop and rock. 

As a drum corps fan I have always been skeptical of vocals in a show. You can get them to work with great planning and care, but I am always concerned about the focal point of a show and what fans of brass and percussion want to hear, especially when there is only 12.5 minutes to deliver your show.  So I try to judge vocals based on the show and how they are incorporated.  

Last year I enjoyed The Cadets vocalists (who were outstanding singers) but I felt by summer's end they were used too much in the show.  It became too cheesy. Boston's vocalist last year was great and used well. Carolina's singer was wonderful last year, but perhaps used too much. We were all reminded of the electronic malfunctions that can happen with outdoor audio at Finals last year...and not just with the Carolina vocalist. There were many nasty microphone errors and more. 

This year I applaud The Cadets for continued use of really outstanding singers.  They are built into the show in a smart and effective way, and even march at times. The blend is wonderful.  What the Bluecoats have done with their jazz singer is truly outstanding. First time ever for me to hear a true jazz singer used this way with the music arrangements so seamlessly orchestrated around her voice, and with great effect to the show. There are other excellent examples this year, but those are two.  

I don't like recorded vocals with no singer in sight. Makes no sense. And when the live singing is done poorly (design and performance) it can really ruin a show.  *Please Note: the only exception to this is when a corps plays just a short clip of a vocal, such as what Blue Devils did last year with "Diamonds in the sky." A short clip used effectively can really work (5 to 10 seconds).

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TRacer said:

I wish VK was still around to offer the audience a vocal ensemble or soloist singing in Swedish Chef. Or, Monty Python’s SPAM song. 

VK would ROCK my Muppets Show theme idea. 

Beat vocalists from prelims :

1. Bluecoats (Dry Cleaner is as good - if not better - than the source music)

2. Cadets - integrated so well in the show  - movement, intonation - excellent. 

3. Guardians - hip and cool. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1