World Class Corps can breathe again! (14-20)

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I find it more interesting that SCV and BD announced this together 

Sounds like each organization has been in communication with each other over this for some time.

BDB's 2019 update stated.... "The leadership teams of both organizations have been in communication over the past several weeks and are committed to making the 2019 summer experience strong."

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Why would they need to announce their plans, if there are plans, before they are ready? I think those who believe something else is planned could be on to something. It seemed to me like we saw more postings on FB and Twitter of BDC this year. It could be a coincidence or perhaps there will be a new emphasis on different things in the organization. Change does not always mean something is wrong and not disclosing plans, especially by a competitive organization, should not be that surprising.

What I hope this does is maybe re-focus on the west coast area for touring in the near future. This is what regional areas of DCI did back in the OLD days before a national tours. That pretty much ended in the mid-90's. I see corps like Oregon Crusaders, Cascades and yes there are very good OC corps in the NW that nobody sees as their season ends at DALR. Some of you guys think any thing past Denver is basically Japan. It's striking that both SCVC and BDB is not touring for OC outside of CA. They have both dominated the OC for about 10 yrs. Maybe it's just time to go back to regional shows and then a national tour. Beside 2007 DCI Final in Pasadena the latest CA show for the West Coast was 2002. Santa Ana on July 14th. That was the last time a CA show with both BD and SCV performed in CA that late in July. Now  a days they are in Texas or the South.

5 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What I hope this does is maybe re-focus on the west coast area for touring in the near future. 

They could create an Open Class Western Regional.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Except that what we all DO know for certain is that as of last week, the SCVC Corps Director Steve Barnhill was totally unaware of any such future " plan "  for his SCVC Corps. Since he was not involved in any such " plan " you believe they had for his Corps, he abruptly decided to resign.

NM

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Why would they need to announce their plans, if there are plans, before they are ready? I think those who believe something else is planned could be on to something. It seemed to me like we saw more postings on FB and Twitter of BDC this year. It could be a coincidence or perhaps there will be a new emphasis on different things in the organization. Change does not always mean something is wrong and not disclosing plans, especially by a competitive organization, should not be that surprising.

BOOM!.......................EXACTLY...THANK YOU

agree 100%

14 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Beside 2007 DCI Final in Pasadena the latest CA show for the West Coast was 2002. Santa Ana on July 14th. 

What?  Just this year, there were shows in Bakersfield on July 20 and Pleasant Hill on July 21.  And many other seasons have had shows in California after the 14th.  You just choose to ignore them because BD/SCV are not there.

Some of you guys think any thing past Denver is basically Japan. 

Likewise, some of you guys think anything past top 7 is basically not a drum corps show.

Just now, cixelsyd said:

What?  Just this year, there were shows in Bakersfield on July 20 and Pleasant Hill on July 21.  And many other seasons have had shows in California after the 14th.  You just choose to ignore them because BD/SCV are not there.

Likewise, some of you guys think anything past top 7 is basically not a drum corps show.

Like as stated...regional shows. And I agree those are shows but not WC shows. So no need to be nasty. You know what I'm saying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What I hope this does is maybe re-focus on the west coast area for touring in the near future. This is what regional areas of DCI did back in the OLD days before a national tours. That pretty much ended in the mid-90's. I see corps like Oregon Crusaders, Cascades and yes there are very good OC corps in the NW that nobody sees as their season ends at DALR. Some of you guys think any thing past Denver is basically Japan. It's striking that both SCVC and BDB is not touring for OC outside of CA. They have both dominated the OC for about 10 yrs. Maybe it's just time to go back to regional shows and then a national tour. Beside 2007 DCI Final in Pasadena the latest CA show for the West Coast was 2002. Santa Ana on July 14th. That was the last time a CA show with both BD and SCV performed in CA that late in July. Now  a days they are in Texas or the South.

Could be a good idea and maybe OC would get more local support this way and be a presence locally for the entire organization. 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think those who believe something else is planned could be on to something. 

Of course something else is planned, Tim K... both SCVC and BDB have gone on limited DCI tours like this many times before that did not include their going to DCI Championships, and have always filled in the time they were not on summer tours with something else for the marchers in their Corps.  What is somewhat unique here is that their limited travel choice for 2019 will not involve even the Northwest, Arizona, Idaho, etc  but will include only California.

As such,  Its likely both BDB and SCVC will have to do something interesting and enticing for both Corps Directors/ Staffs/ Marchers, as historically  there has been very little appeal to potential camp auditioneers and veteran Corps marchers to go/ stay with Corps that intend to only compete in state, and not go outside their state to compete with other Corps. Also, the Corps Director for SCVC was apparently neither involved, nor aware of this decision, until recently..Thus, his resignation a couple of days ago. This decision for both Corps bares watching, as it would appear to me that travel expenses is not the only reason for this decision.

Edited by BRASSO