World Class Corps can breathe again! (14-20)

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sure - they send groups to different corners of the world at times.  But that clearly is not the plan when they say BDB will only travel in California in 2019.

And regarding "bigger than DCI" - I think what BD does in DCI is bigger than what they do outside of DCI.  More people participate, the programs are more profoundly life-changing, and the BD organization clearly devotes more of their resources to their DCI programs.

Now that would be opinion and priority, wouldn't it I'll do some asking if you really need to debate this. Even if it's just in Calif. There can be some great performing possibilities offered. If anyone can do this it is BD

Ya know, like yours I had an opinion,( knowing those involved ) not everything on DCP needs to be debated

either way both these corps need to do what's best for them as I'm sure that's what their plan is

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If they were planning something "bigger and better", why would they only announce something smaller?

Why would they need to announce their plans, if there are plans, before they are ready? I think those who believe something else is planned could be on to something. It seemed to me like we saw more postings on FB and Twitter of BDC this year. It could be a coincidence or perhaps there will be a new emphasis on different things in the organization. Change does not always mean something is wrong and not disclosing plans, especially by a competitive organization, should not be that surprising.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Exactly.  But they did announce their plans... which are to travel only in California in 2019.

Are they announcing plans or is it full disclosure so kids don’t audition for one thing and discover something different? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Well, they announced one item...no way to know if that is the sum total of their plans at this point.

Sure.  But unless Blue Devils field a corps for every letter of the alphabet, SCV does the same, and they stage over 100 contests in 2019 - all in California - I doubt there is something "bigger than DCI" in store.  

Several quality Open Class corps still remain as possible staunch competitors to the lower placing World Class corps.  Excellence never relaxes in its own pursuit.

However, the absence of the two Cali corps for whatever reasons still remains a challenge to lower placing World Class corps and all corps. If the rumor for withdrawal from the DCI tour is financing (whether from legal issues effecting both master organizations who sponsor these corps or from increased transportation costs from the bus lines/gas costs/insurance costs) than all corps will need to trim budgets. I believe both VC and BDB organizations own a few of their own buses.If they cut back, all corps will need to cut back more prudently.

Crossing Statelines has new ramifications whatever corps has misbehaviour. FBI (and IRS) often become involved when minors are at risk when Statelines are crossed in the travel. Everyone's financial books will have to be spotless and without question. All travel will have to have a cost-benefit analysis; no more travelling 20 hours for one show with the threat of severe weather cancelling the contest and the gate receipts. Show sponsors will have to improve even more how the contests are underwritten for their benefit and the costs of the corps; remember Open Class corps are not currently compensated in a similar way to the World Class corps. It is a new era, but no way a relaxed era. Just as it takes awhile for a plucked taut string to stop shaking after having been moved, it will take a while for the activity to right itself morally, financially, and conveniently.

Too me this is a troubling sign of the state of this activity. Some of you guys think BD and SCV are just ROLLING in money and can spend tons of amount of money into the activity. THEY CAN'T. Our live performances END in CA late June and very early July. The fact the both SCV and BD OC corps are not touring later on is not good news for WC corps. I don't see it that way. OC just might be permanently non-existent in the near future. 

12 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I don't think either of these corps will change the education of their younger members nor take away from them without a plan and maybe even a bigger purpose offered. JMO

Except that what we all DO know for certain is that as of last week, the SCVC Corps Director Steve Barnhill was totally unaware of any such future " plan "  for his SCVC Corps. Since he was not involved in any such " plan " you believe they had for his Corps, he abruptly decided to resign.