Caption Awards

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Oh? SCV beat them overall by 0.4 and in drums by 0.5. Under today's system (with FOUR GE judges), Phantom loses drums by .25 and certainly picks up in MA and Guard. Believe me, I've done the math. Unfortunately, SCV would beat Garfield '87 under today's rules, given Garfield's icky guard.

I forgot that Phantom was somehow that close in percussion. Oy.

87 either way i was ok with who won

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

11 years in a row? 11 judges in a row? C'mon. W. Chumley "disagreed" with the prior judges in 2016 who had Crown a combined 0.4 ahead of BD. In Finals, he had Crown at 19.6 and BD at 19.9 (CC won guard) -- last month, he had BD in FOURTH in semifinals' guard (they won Thurs and Sat). So, cross him off your list.

it's not like it was 11 different people over that span. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not like it was 11 different people over that span. 

'08: R. Solomon (19.9)

'09: L. Carlson (20)

'10: R. Solomon (20)

'11: M. Turner (19.8)

'12: L. Carlson (20)

'13: L. Carlson (19.9)

'14: R. Solomon (20)

'15: M. Czapinski (19.7)

'16: W. Chumley (19.9)

'17: C. Raichle (19.6)

'18: M. Turner (19.60)

Bold denotes "repeat offenders," which has exactly what to do with anything? "This is what I gave last year" can't possibly register in their minds. Obviously, of ANY corps in ANY caption, this has been the most consistent, especially of late. ######, you people are making me publicly defend the Blue Devils! My eyes weren't open to them until 2014! Frankly, I can do without their 2015 and 2016 shows -- yawns, the both of them (to me), but they guarded the heck out of those shows. But again, to deny their greatness, superiority and dominance is to deny the simple math. Einstein couldn't do that, so don't try. Scott Chandler is the Nick Saban of Color Guard.  😝

46 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

Scott Chandler is the Nick Saban of Color Guard.  

Or is Nick Saban the Scott Chandler of college football? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tad_MMA said:

'08: R. Solomon (19.9)

'09: L. Carlson (20)

'10: R. Solomon (20)

'11: M. Turner (19.8)

'12: L. Carlson (20)

'13: L. Carlson (19.9)

'14: R. Solomon (20)

'15: M. Czapinski (19.7)

'16: W. Chumley (19.9)

'17: C. Raichle (19.6)

'18: M. Turner (19.60)

Bold denotes "repeat offenders," which has exactly what to do with anything? "This is what I gave last year" can't possibly register in their minds. Obviously, of ANY corps in ANY caption, this has been the most consistent, especially of late. ######, you people are making me publicly defend the Blue Devils! My eyes weren't open to them until 2014! Frankly, I can do without their 2015 and 2016 shows -- yawns, the both of them (to me), but they guarded the heck out of those shows. But again, to deny their greatness, superiority and dominance is to deny the simple math. Einstein couldn't do that, so don't try. Scott Chandler is the Nick Saban of Color Guard.  😝

I'm not saying BD should or shouldnt have won most of those years. But as an administrator in a band circuit, you look for trends. Sometimes trends reveal themselves in ways that prove my point. Only 3 people in 11 years didn't get multiple cracks. 

Of those years, I'd love to see how many of them worked the other 2 days. 

And this could go for any caption, not just guard, especially when you carry a smaller roster of judges.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sorry but being the championship guard yet you didn’t win finals night is hollow 

One one hand, yes, there's a kind of odd and uneasy feeling about it. But when there's a trend of the finals judge picking one over the other two judges.... wow, there's also that issue as well to think about. More a "Whassup with that!?" feeling. It's insanely hard to get the panel mix to be fair at every round in terms of the final outcome let alone one caption.

46 minutes ago, BigW said:

One one hand, yes, there's a kind of odd and uneasy feeling about it. But when there's a trend of the finals judge picking one over the other two judges.... wow, there's also that issue as well to think about. More a "Whassup with that!?" feeling. It's insanely hard to get the panel mix to be fair at every round in terms of the final outcome let alone one caption.

2 judges 1 night , same performance average score = BOOM problem solved 

for those who may want to see something different. OR as is average over 3 shows .

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

2 judges 1 night , same performance average score = BOOM problem solved

Oh yeah???
What if both judges have it in for the Blue Devils, every year???  :lol: