George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

Whatever you think of Hopkins, there is zero chance he would make such an admission prior to a trial. That would be suicidal.

Nothings ever been his fault. Look at post finals comments aimed at judging. Look at why people don’t like him. 

11 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

That was called bonding with co-workers & friends back then, today I would have a lot of explaining to do, maybe lose my job. The Army learned real quick not to put me in charge of anything it took a while for the Private Sector to catch on. Don't do anything like that today Barneveld may be onto something, beware of The BLUZES.

And on THAT note... drum corps activity off the field would not be viewed the same way in today’s world!  I was there! We all had fun but... yikes! 

Edited by Lancer79
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

I’m thinking forgiveness is a very broad spectrum.  Aren’t we all guilty of misunderstanding and or misreading situations?  At least degrees of this. I am often guilty of saying something and a person be upset with me or hurt. I’ve gotten better at reading it after the fact, and then try to understand WHY the person is hating on me ... but that sensitivity didn’t happen overnight! I’m driven and focused and mission oriented like Hopkins so I saw right away this trait in him. I don’t believe he has the heart to hurt but definitely missed the consequences of his lack of interest in the softer skills in human interaction.  I have no idea what transpired between he and the women, but did observe how he came across as rude and insensitive and hurtful with his words, he only saw value in what he was focused on, himself and YEA and the Cadets. He does realize this was a big miss on his part. I am hopeful. 

He saw value in making sure he had a fat severance package 

2 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

George Hopkins is not on trial for being a meany poo-poo face at YEA. He is on trial for SEXUAL ASSAULT.

“Words” aren’t going to help his victims. Nine women came forward. Nine. They came forward knowing that their lives would likely suffer because of it. There’s nothing positive in it for them.

You keep taking about things that don’t matter. How you feel about George’s character doesn’t matter. How you feel about “healing” and “forgiveness” doesn’t matter. All that matters is that nine women came forward and accused George Hopkins of sexual misconduct.

Actually 12 came forward. Not all gave their names 

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Do you think it will go to trial or a plea deal?

My understanding is that the vast majority (like 80+%) of cases end in a plea bargain.  If that happens here, it will likely be sooner than later, as the closer the trial date comes, the more time & $ the prosecutor has invested,  the less lenient the deal.

That said, this is America, & GH has the absolute right to have his day in court.  He is the one that ultimately makes the decision - his counsel can advise, but he is the final decision maker.

As has been mentioned before, the key will be Discovery, where the prosecution has to provide GH & lawyers the evidence against him.  Once that happens, his lawyers will advise him a course of action, be it go to trial, go for a plea deal, or whatever.  $ also comes into play, because the more time and effort defense counsel put into a defense, the more it cost$.

A plea deal can happen quickly, but if this does go to trial it will be some time from now - there are only so many courtrooms, and other cases are in front of him.  It will probably be after the 2019 DCI champ is determined, and could well be after the 2020 season.  As an example, Bill Cosby was charged in Dec 2015; his first trial (which resulted in a mistrial due to a hung jury) was in June 2017, and he was convicted in a second trial in April 2018; sentencing was last fall.  Then the appeals can commence. 

And then, once the Criminal charges are resolved,  the Civil case of YEA v Hopkins & vice versa will begin.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

He saw value in making sure he had a fat severance package 

Lots, if not all executives have those. It’s how business is. Even non-profits. It’s America. It’s Capitalism. What our country was founded on...

28 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Jets fan since their AFL days here. Loved the AFL... offensive fireworks every week. And their Super Bowl team... one for the ages. Namath, Maynard, Snell, etc. Quite a lineup.

But over the decades... well... 

Like I've said before:  I don't follow professional football... I'm a Jets fan. :laughing:

Just

End

The 

Season 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lancer79 said:

Lots, if not all executives have those. It’s how business is. Even non-profits. It’s America. It’s Capitalism. What our country was founded on...

Even if it wasn’t to the benefit of his beloved Cadets. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Even if it wasn’t to the benefit of his beloved Cadets. 

His compensation was based upon the size of the organization and the responsibility he carried. This isn’t Sweden. 

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Just

End

The 

Season 

Every single season.  LOL.