“Failure to Protect”

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

But you are not required to work 'there'. Other jobs, other careers, are out there which do not require sacraficing your (wife's) dignity. Maybe not in the field you want, standing up for dignity sometimes does come at a price; but at least be honest in that It was 'you' who decided that your choice of career took priority.

Not knowing details I’m not willing to judge. Know father of a very close friend who had to plead no contest to something he claimed he never did. Quick story was he got caught in a sting with others and every time one went to court (appeal whatever) all had to go with their lawyer$. State was after 2 big fish so cut a probation deal so guy would keep his business and not go broke in lawyer fees and court costs. Pride is nice but when your business feeds 5 mouths then pride can be ######.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

But you are not required to work 'there'. Other jobs, other careers, are out there which do not require sacraficing your (wife's) dignity. Maybe not in the field you want, standing up for dignity sometimes does come at a price; but at least be honest in that It was 'you' who decided that your choice of career took priority.

Yep, I could have done that but it would have been a move out of state. I witnessed how the policy worked it's way down the ladder. At first, it was just leadership positions in corporate. Then it filtered down to department heads (middle management) who knows where it goes next. I questioned it was told that certain positions had the potential to hurt the companies reputation, profitability, brand name whatever.

Now middle management is being taken over by fancy computer programs (SIX SIGMA). All thought and creativity are being removed. Just put the raw data in the correct field and the program tells you what to do next. When I spoke up and said but, but most of the time we already tried that and fell on our face. I would get grins & giggles from my boss who said do it anyway.
Like I said in another post we are slowly being turned into THE BORG.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yep, I could have done that but it would have been a move out of state. I witnessed how the policy worked it's way down the ladder. At first, it was just leadership positions in corporate. Then it filtered down to department heads (middle management) who knows where it goes next. I questioned it was told that certain positions had the potential to hurt the companies reputation, profitability, brand name whatever.

Now middle management is being taken over by fancy computer programs (SIX SIGMA). All thought and creativity are being removed. Just put the raw data in the correct field and the program tells you what to do next. When I spoke up and said but, but most of the time we already tried that and fell on our face. I would get grins & giggles from my boss who said do it anyway.
Like I said in another post we are slowly being turned into THE BORG.

Have a friend with a Master's in IT.  He had worked his way up in a major international corporation to become Head of IT for the entire company.  They changed policies and told him that in two months he was going to be required to disclose all of his private social data, including the social media engaged by his family, to the company.  Not only that, he was instructed to fire all IT employees who refused to comply.  He immediately searched for a new job.  There were no other companies in his area which were hiring IT people of his stature. Also, his family wanted to stay in the metro area.  So, he took a job as the Head Service Manager for a a chain of auto repair shops; not what he wanted, desired, or was experienced in as a career. He took a cut in pay; he sold their newer BMW SUV and bought a older used Honda; he canceled Satellite TV and put in an antenna for local stations; the family had a fun garage/yard sale, also the family does not go on their extended vacations anymore. However, they are living with internal peace and joy by refusing to becoming a member of the Borg, as you put it.

Each new wave of technology does bring with it new challenges to Individual  Privacy Protections. The Internet's effects has been far sweeping... both good and bad attributes, imo. Lest we forget, many of the biggest scandals of the last 25 years did not  first break  by traditional media, traditional press. They first broke on the Internet. Even the story of DCI's questionable hires/ retentions first broke on Social media, not the Philly Inquirer. She just picked up on the rumors floating around on the Internet, met/ talked with people, and did what good investigative reporters do. Find out if the rumors had substance to them or not. All this said, there is no question that the Internet Hwy  and Social Media is filled with lots of nonsense and garbage too. But... the Schools of Journalism these days arn't exactly turning out  journalists just seeking" the truth, wherever it leads them" types either, imo. So the MSM has been sullied lately too with all sorts of agenda driven reporting. This in turn leads to people seeking out alternative sources for their news/ info/ analysis.  I suppose thats both good and bad as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Have a friend with a Master's in IT.  He had worked his way up in a major international corporation to become Head of IT for the entire company.  They changed policies and told him that in two months he was going to be required to disclose all of his private social data, including the social media engaged by his family, to the company.  Not only that, he was instructed to fire all IT employees who refused to comply.  He immediately searched for a new job.  There were no other companies in his area which were hiring IT people of his stature. Also, his family wanted to stay in the metro area.  So, he took a job as the Head Service Manager for a a chain of auto repair shops; not what he wanted, desired, or was experienced in as a career. He took a cut in pay; he sold their newer BMW SUV and bought a older used Honda; he canceled Satellite TV and put in an antenna for local stations; the family had a fun garage/yard sale, also the family does not go on their extended vacations anymore. However, they are living with internal peace and joy by refusing to becoming a member of the Borg, as you put it.

Stu, I see you are up to speed on the issues. I give your friend a lot of credit. However, in his new position, it only takes a few blunders by his peers and the new company may require the same. What then another landscaper? BTW some of them are doing enhanced vetting because of extreme customers that are requiring drug tested & fully vetted rakers.

The net is widening society is demanding more and more conformity the walls are closing in. Fewer and fewer places to hide but it's a valiant effort.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

This in turn leads to people seeking out alternative sources for their news/ info/ analysis.  I suppose thats both good and bad as well.

The News today is either right or left propaganda, the Cavies get it but most of us don't. IMO we are governed from the extream on both sides. We lost governing from the middle everything is the radical left or right. I think this is being done on purpose with both sides being complicit in a scheme to show us our way of governing the very thing that built this country does not work anymore. What's next who knows but I see us leaning towards a BORG society with no individual thought process.

18 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Stu, I see you are up to speed on the issues. I give your friend a lot of credit. However, in his new position, it only takes a few blunders by his peers and the new company may require the same. What then another landscaper?

Yes to your question. As head of IT he saw no invasion of privacy issues in the company monitoring employees using company computers, company email, company phones, and requiring them to only use company equipment while on company time. It was the crossing into the personal where the invasion occured. And if the auto repair company one day requires that, yes a career can be made as a landscaper.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not knowing details I’m not willing to judge. Know father of a very close friend who had to plead no contest to something he claimed he never did. Quick story was he got caught in a sting with others and every time one went to court (appeal whatever) all had to go with their lawyer$. State was after 2 big fish so cut a probation deal so guy would keep his business and not go broke in lawyer fees and court costs. Pride is nice but when your business feeds 5 mouths then pride can be ######.

Jim, the scenario you cite is one of potential abuse of power by an entity that can, by due process, not only take away your rights and freedoms but also incarcerate you. That is an interesting subject, but not the same as the subject on the current table. What is on the table here is a discussion concerning voluntarily sacrificing and selling your personal freedom, and your family's, in the name of your love and desire for a particular career.  The same scenario as the myth of a guitar player who sells his soul to the devil (Borg) in the name of a desire to play the best guitar gigs. Nobody forces a person to apply for, or hold onto, a career which requires those sacrifices. It all boils down to are you willing to voluntarily give up your soul to a company in the name of your love for that particular career choice.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Don't look at it that way, had nothing to hide besides people actually like my wife if I did have FB I would not have made the cut. Nothing Sexual or Criminal but I think too much like you and question everything. Anyway, I am going to pop on the live Rose Bowl Band Fest feed now. Then tomorrow an NYE tradition live Grateful Dead (those of them that aren't actually DEAD) surrounded with other wonderful musicians. Then the Rose Bowl parade after that the Mummers String Band and Fancy Brigades, busy time lots of brain cells to kill before the BORG fills my head with nonsense.