“Failure to Protect”

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, the CEO is responsible for following the protocol that his BoD has laid down or resign.  He chose to follow the direction of his BoD.

You might not like it, but he'd likely win any lawsuit claiming he should have acted differently.

What was DCIs policy if anyone at the front office had information on suspected abuse or illegal action? Call the people who were responsible for the same?

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I keep using the example of if I drive by an accident late at night I don’t legally call 911 even if someone is dying. I’d say that makes me a urine poor human being and Christian. But some defend lack of action saying “well they didn’t HAVE to do anything legally”. See my Penn State gripe above

Regionality and geography are the difference.  There's one Penn State and only one PA.

There are a bunch of states with drum corps in them.  The decision was made long ago to allow the corps to deal with issues such as this in the light of their local governments and acceptable mores.  Maybe coordinating national standards is easily accomplished now with technology.  Maybe back then it was such a daunting project that they made the decision to pass down all such issues to the corps to deal with locally.

Just now, garfield said:

No, the CEO is responsible for following the protocol that his BoD has laid down or resign.  He chose to follow the direction of his BoD.

You might not like it, but he'd likely win any lawsuit claiming he should have acted differently.

I conceded long ago that legally he may be covered.    I'm not quite as sure as you seem to be as there some very specific rules for any adults interacting with minors concerning the reporting of suspect sexual abuse.  I am not familiar with the Indiana (or Illinois) law on the topic but it would not surprise me to find that failing to report is actually felonious conduct.

Of course the statement you keep trying to refute only includes moral and ethical responsibilities -- an area equally (or more) important but quite separate from legal responsibilities.  

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What was DCIs policy if anyone at the front office had information on suspected abuse or illegal action? Call the people who were responsible for the same?

Well, I would imagine that any staff member was responsible for reporting up the chain to Dan's office, at which time Dan notified the corps in question.

1 minute ago, karuna said:

I conceded long ago that legally he may be covered.    I'm not quite as sure as you seem to be as there some very specific rules for any adults interacting with minors concerning the reporting of suspect sexual abuse.  I am not familiar with the Indiana (or Illinois) law on the topic but it would not surprise me to find that failing to report is actually felonious conduct.

Of course the statement you keep trying to refute only includes moral and ethical responsibilities -- an area equally (or more) important but quite separate from legal responsibilities.  

No, smh, in fact I am speaking of Dan's LEGAL obligation according to his employment contract and the duties his BoD charged to him.  His moral belief is beyond me, and is not relevant.  Further, it's possible that, in his mind, passing the information to the corps WAS fulfilling his moral obligation, too.

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Dan's office should not be scalped because its BoD wrote policies that are not acceptable today.

But he does have the power of his position to have them tweaked doesn't he?  We hope he read them.

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I would imagine that any staff member was responsible for reporting up the chain to Dan's office, at which time Dan notified the corps in question.

So a corps leader hires someone with an abusive background because it’s a friend, they did their time or he’s a good family man (seen all three excuses given). DCI gets report of possible abuse and tells the corps and nothing changes. If DCI thinks that was doing their job protecting the members in Musics Major Leagues they should have closed years ago. Oh wait protecting kids is not expressly written in the policy so bleep em.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So a corps leader hires someone with an abusive background because it’s a friend, they did their time or he’s a good family man (seen all three excuses given). DCI gets report of possible abuse and tells the corps and nothing changes. If DCI thinks that was doing their job protecting the members they should have closed years ago. Oh wait protecting kids is not written in the policy so bleep em.

Yea, it sucks, doesn't it?

I'd imagine the current BoD members were very quick to change the information flow.  Including hiring a blind reporting number to ease reporting.

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, smh, in fact I am speaking of Dan's LEGAL obligation according to his employment contract and the duties his BoD charged to him.  His moral belief is beyond me, and is not relevant.  Further, it's possible that, in his mind, passing the information to the corps WAS fulfilling his moral obligation, too.

His moral and ethical responsibility (and perhaps legal) was to report the suspected abuse to the appropriate authorities.   

His leadership is bankrupt if it becomes clear that his character (ie morals and ethics) allowed him to turn a blind eye to sexual abuse simply because his BOD told him to do so.  How you keep failing to comprehend that is mind boggling.  

He's not in a position to lead DCI or any youth organization under these circumstances.  The best thing for DCI is to find new leadership ASAP which is untainted by his failure to act.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, karuna said:

His moral and ethical responsibility (and perhaps legal) was to report the suspected abuse to the appropriate authorities.   

His leadership is bankrupt if it becomes clear that his character (ie morals and ethics) allowed him to turn a blind eye to sexual abuse simply because his BOD told him to do so.  How you keep failing to comprehend that is mind boggling.  

He's not in a position to lead DCI or any youth organization under these circumstances.  The best thing for DCI is to find new leadership ASAP which is untainted by his failure to act.

And the new person they put in that role will be encumbered by the same employment contract as the existing ED.

Well, it is YOUR mind that's boggled.  Mine is perfectly clear!

:tongue: