DCI back at Meadowlands/Met Life Stadium 7/2

https://yea.org/news/2150-celebrate-the-cadets-85th-anniversary-at-metlife-stadium-july-2

Yes, the DCI schedule & site still says Clifton High but it seems this is just being made public.

Will Crown want back in after their Midwestern mini-tour and few days break?

Is this why Cranston High/Bristol show was really bumped besides the ride to Carolina?

just wondering out loud.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Interesting announcement. It’s been a while since Cadets used Met Life Stadium. I was there in 2012. As I left the hotel where I was staying, a small dark speck grew into an onimous dark cloud and rain came down like never before, so it seemed until  the Friday of Allentown last year.

Whether  Crown will be on board is anyone’s guess. There would be enough time to get to New Jersey from Rockford (their last show prior to the Cadets show) and back in time for CrownBEAT. 

Regarding the Rhode Island show, the official reason given by the Bristol July 4th committee was an inability to schedule the show due to DCI’s attention to member safety and downtime, travel time, etc. I did hear they were given a date of June 30th but fewer corps were traveling to New England and there was not enough for a slate of competing corps. 

Whatever the official reason, the writing has been on the wall for the Rhode Island show for a while. Some on the committee have suggested it is a great deal of work for little rewards. I felt it was only a matter of time when Mt. Hope HS stadium could not accommodate the size of the corps’ shows. The numbers were down in Bristol at the end of its run and even though Cranston could better handle the traffic, it did not have the feel of the Bristol show or the numbers. Volunteers at last year’s show said it was uncertain as to whether there would be a show this year and early info about the overall celebration used to say that more information regarding Summer Music Preview would arrive before Christmas, last year’s fall email blast did not have the TBA it usually has. It’s too bad, I loved the Bristol show and Cranston had some advantages. Hopefully it will be a one year absence.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Interesting announcement. It’s been a while since Cadets used Met Life Stadium. I was there in 2012. As I left the hotel where I was staying, a small dark speck grew into an onimous dark cloud and rain came down like never before, so it seemed until  the Friday of Allentown last year.

Whether  Crown will be on board is anyone’s guess. There would be enough time to get to New Jersey from Rockford (their last show prior to the Cadets show) and back in time for CrownBEAT. 

Regarding the Rhode Island show, the official reason given by the Bristol July 4th committee was an inability to schedule the show due to DCI’s attention to member safety and downtime, travel time, etc. I did hear they were given a date of June 30th but fewer corps were traveling to New England and there was not enough for a slate of competing corps. 

Whatever the official reason, the writing has been on the wall for the Rhode Island show for a while. Some on the committee have suggested it is a great deal of work for little rewards. I felt it was only a matter of time when Mt. Hope HS stadium could not accommodate the size of the corps’ shows. The numbers were down in Bristol at the end of its run and even though Cranston could better handle the traffic, it did not have the feel of the Bristol show or the numbers. Volunteers at last year’s show said it was uncertain as to whether there would be a show this year and early info about the overall celebration used to say that more information regarding Summer Music Preview would arrive before Christmas, last year’s fall email blast did not have the TBA it usually has. It’s too bad, I loved the Bristol show and Cranston had some advantages. Hopefully it will be a one year absence.

yes, start the novenas and turn her statue to the window that it not be the deluge of 2012, the storm only out done by the Glassmen at Allentown BITD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Bluecoats are there, not Crown... at least in the preliminary info I've recieved

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

yes, start the novenas and turn her statue to the window that it not be the deluge of 2012, the storm only out done by the Glassmen at Allentown BITD.

don't rule out Cavies 93 at Allentown

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Bluecoats are there, not Crown... at least in the preliminary info I've recieved

Crown is not on the roster, but the original poster suggested Crown could possibly change its tour plans to participate in the show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

You weren't in Bush Stadium in 1987 then.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, njthundrrd said:

You weren't in Bush Stadium in 1987 then.

Oh I was there if you mean the DCI regional where Gail Royer, George Hopkins and I and the judging slate held a thermometer and a yardstick above the turf to measure the temp. The determination was that the turf itself was over 100 and deemed too hot for any mms to compete on it. Therefore prelims (daytime) were cancelled.  The accumulated heat and humidity (a/k/a St. Louis in the summer) let go its might fury as the night show ("finals") were cancelled due to deluge of rain and lightning. Back on the buses for a good night sleep only to awake in Pella, Iowa where the main part of town is decorated as if a Dutch village and we wondered if we were still dreaming. Band director in Pella for a long time has been a Cadet alum. 

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Oh I was there if you mean the DCI regional where Gail Royer, George Hopkins and I and the judging slate held a thermometer and a yardstick above the turf to measure the temp. The determination was that the turf itself was over 100 and deemed too hot for any mms to compete on it. Therefore prelims (daytime) were cancelled.  The accumulated heat and humidity (a/k/a St. Louis in the summer) let go its might fury as the night show ("finals") were cancelled due to deluge of rain and lightning. Back on the buses for a good night sleep only to awake in Pella, Iowa where the main part of town is decorated as if a Dutch village and we wondered if we were still dreaming. Band director in Pella for a long time has been a Cadet alum. 

If prelims were indeed cancelled, as you claim, then where did these scores come from? From The Press Box and DCX (formerly corpsrep) both have this listed.

August 8, 1987

DCI Midwest Prelims

Saint Louis MO

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 94.800

2 Garfield Cadets 93.600

3 Cavaliers 92.700

4 Spirit of Atlanta 88.200

5 Star of Indiana 88.000

6 Madison Scouts 87.600

7 Sky Ryders 81.700

8 Florida Wave 80.800

9 Dutch Boy 79.400