A year ago today

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI is not actually a glass house because its not a public company, but matters of organization are all public because they are a non-profit.

A few minutes of investigation would quickly show that the governance of the activity began changing before the GH explosion forced more and faster change (ex: Fred Morrison).

We all make ill-informed statements from time-to-time, but these facts are not exactly hidden from plain sight.

rpbobcat's comments lead me to believe he/she won't be satisfied that "anything" has been done until Dan is gone.  

Both are sad, IMO.

Understand this is directed more to people who claim nothing has been done. But thinking of people who would not do investigation into what has been going on inside DCI. These are the people who might have seen the bad news articles or heard from others but have no way otherwise of knowing that things have changed. Sometimes we forget that not all corps fans or potential corps fans hang or social media or dig as deep as some of us do.

Trying to think of how DCI can deal with this but coming up with nothing other than lot of PR work.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understand this is directed more to people who claim nothing has been done. But thinking of people who would not do investigation into what has been going on inside DCI. These are the people who might have seen the bad news articles or heard from others but have no way otherwise of knowing that things have changed.

Trying to think of how DCI can deal with this but coming up with nothing other than lot of PR work.

Do you mean other than putting changes up on the public website just two clicks from the homepage?

05-16-2018 12:35

DCI Board of Directors updates sweeping Code of Conduct & Ethics Guidelines

by Drum Corps International

As the next step in the ongoing process of supporting and strengthening our community, the Drum Corps International Board of Directors has revised and updated a comprehensive set of guidelines for all participating organizations in DCI programs and activities regarding the safety and well-being of performers, staff, and volunteers.

Just now, garfield said:

Do you mean other than putting changes up on the public website just two clicks from the homepage?

05-16-2018 12:35

DCI Board of Directors updates sweeping Code of Conduct & Ethics Guidelines

by Drum Corps International

As the next step in the ongoing process of supporting and strengthening our community, the Drum Corps International Board of Directors has revised and updated a comprehensive set of guidelines for all participating organizations in DCI programs and activities regarding the safety and well-being of performers, staff, and volunteers.

And how many causal fans or non-fans who have read about the scandals care enough to read the DCI homepage?

Hell I’ve followed corps off and on for decades and only time I look at DCI homepage contents is when I follow a link.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And how many causal fans or non-fans who have read about the scandals care enough to read the DCI homepage?

Hell I’ve followed corps off and on for decades and only time I look at DCI homepage contents is when I follow a link.

Well, I do consider it the responsibility of the poster to check the "facts" posted for accuracy, but that's just me.

I do recognize that, on an anonymous chatboard, it's sometimes easier to lob bombs of dog-crap by typing 100 clicks to make a vacuous point than it is to make two clicks and actually change one's "perception" of the facts.

:blink:

Edited by garfield

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I do consider it the responsibility of the poster to check the "facts" posted for accuracy, but that's just me.

I do recognize that, on an anonymous chatboard, it's sometimes easier to lob bombs of dog-crap by typing 100 clicks to make a vacuous point than it is to make two clicks and actually change one's "perception" of the facts.

:blink:

Ok we have a misconnection....

I am NOT talking about people who post on social media. I AM talking about people/fans who have seen the news articles or have heard about the issues in other ways. And these people/fans do NOT follow drum corps on the internet so they have not heard of what DCI has done/is doing to fight the problem. My question is how can DCI get the good word out to those people/fans.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I am NOT talking about people who post on social media. I AM talking about people/fans who have seen the news articles or have heard about the issues in other ways. And these people/fans do NOT follow drum corps on the internet so they have not heard of what DCI has done/is doing to fight the problem. My question is how can DCI get the good word out to those people/fans.

OK, so great, Jim, your point is valid but it's not the point of my reaction to you.  I'm talking about a poster who IS interested enough to go from the public story in the newspaper to coming here, on the remote, niche-y, place called Drum Corps Planet, create a fake name, find this thread, then post that it's too darn bad that DCI "survived" the events without making any substantive changes in its organization and governance structure.

I really don't care about someone who randomly reads about some band squabble and doesn't care enough to even type seven characters into his keyboard to find out more.  Not one whit.

But the poster who we're discussing (even, apparently, different points.  Go figure), yea, I care about him.

I want that poster to know facts and make fact-based claims about the activity I love - not just lob crap-bombs and hope nobody calls him on it.

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK, so great, Jim, your point is valid but it's not the point of my reaction to you.  I'm talking about a poster who IS interested enough to go from the public story in the newspaper to coming here, on the remote, niche-y, place called Drum Corps Planet, create a fake name, find this thread, then post that it's too darn bad that DCI "survived" the events without making any substantive changes in its organization and governance structure.

I really don't care about someone who randomly reads about some band squabble and doesn't care enough to even type seven characters into his keyboard to find out more.  Not one whit.

But the poster who we're discussing (even, apparently, different points.  Go figure), yea, I care about him.

I want that poster to know facts and make fact-based claims about the activity I love - not just lob crap-bombs and hope nobody calls him on it.

*sigh* I know what you were talking about and I hoped I was being clear that I was starting a different topic. 

to be clear: I was never discussing the poster you are referring to. 

And to try to be clearer: I originally quoted you as your post about the poster who does SM gave me the idea to think about people who don’t do SM

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And admittedly, I AM that person. I follow specific corps that I marched with or have some other significant connection, go to a few shows a year and attempt to either donate or volunteer as time permits. What I do NOT do is read DCI's website unless someone links to it. The only reason I go to DCI's website is in rare event that I brave buying tickets online. Is that a good thing? Nope! 

That being said, I don't formulate an opinion until I have enough information to actually feel as though I am somewhat informed. 

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

OK, that's surely valid.  These few fans left who have no connection to anything electronic and only read physical newspapers.  Hmm... gee, could it be a reasonable presumption in most people that their source of news, the very newspaper where they read the story, would make an update at some point to inform its public of substantive and positive changes in the activity it butchered originally?

I would.

But that's me.

Really, what fans are we trying to attract/keep by focusing on print media to connect with the unconnected?

Does DCI gain anything of substantive value by publishing an article in the same source newspaper announcing their improvements?

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

*sigh* I know what you were talking about and I hoped I was being clear that I was starting a different topic. 

to be clear: I was never discussing the poster you are referring to. 

*sigh*  Yes, I'm literal.  No, it wasn't clear, but fine.  No biggie.

The subject is valid.

Charge on...

Should DCI care about the demo you're referencing?

I contend DCI should care about the person who comes to DCP to make comments, or FB, or Twit-land, or any other stupid...

They do that, of course.

• Thanks 1