What happened to Madison?

3 minutes ago, derbydawg said:

Okay. So, I have thought long and hard about this with never finding the impetus, the go-ahead to say what has been on my mind for many years. The sudden and surprising availability to this video (see below)  has given me the go-ahead. The video was so great to see. I teared up without expecting to do such. So, here it is:

If the Madison Scouts find themselves going the way of 2-7, Anaheim Kingsmen, Magic, etc. the fault will largely fall on the shoulders of the many misguided, un-thinking, and self-indulgent alumni, not the current administration. Drum corps alumni are notorious for creating friction, drama, and controversy. Too many of the Madison Scouts alumni are the poster child for all that can be most bad, wrong, destructive, and caustic about corps alumni, and I dare say they demonstrate that they are the worst of all drum corps alumni in these regards. While the reasons for this are complex, much is linked to the overtly preached message of animosity, distrust, and elitism taught to the corps through much of the 1990s and early 2000s. 

I was on staff in 2006. We were reeling from a great season in 2005 and trying to find our next move. When you are 14th four years prior and still trying to be a consistent and bonified finalist, just four years later, nothing comes easy and perhaps the best thing a guy can hope for is a pat on the back from those who may understand the journey, the work, the unique and special environment that is Scouts itself. 

The week of finals, the powers that be had arranged for the Alumni Project (Madison Scouts Alumni who were to perform at DCI) and the 2006 Scouts to perform for each other at a Madison-Area HS. Sitting in the stands with the alumni while the 2006 version of the Madison Scouts were performing their show, I became more and more uncomfortable and extremely uneasy. The comments from alums regarding the current members were not only negative, but horribly offensive, unfair, uneducated, and threatening toward the performing members. I actually wondered if verbal and physical altercations would take place once the two groups were allowed to interact. Sal Salas (a brilliant and wonderful human being) quickly gathered the staff together and ushered the corps away from the alumni as quickly as possible. Though I did witness some positive interactions between the 2006 Scouts and alumni, I too was concerned and made sure the 2006 Scouts were separated as soon as possible and on our way to a secluded meeting place.

Imagine- You have to stand there explaining to the amazing young people you teach that they did a great performance and any animosity they may have heard or seen from alumni was not representative of the majority and that most alumni are actually super cool and supportive (At the time and now looking back, I do not think most were supportive. I was lying to try to counteract the negative interactions our members had experienced). 

Later that night at a Madison-Area bar, several of us on staff were physically threatened- pushed, shoved, asked to fight alumni. It was beyond crazy and such a reminder of the responsibilities we have to teach young people honor and humility, work ethic and service, over popular opinion and suppression. 

That fall, after Sal Salas, as corps director was fired and subsequently the entire staff resigned,  the rest is history so to speak. Several years of floundering was followed by the great leadership of Jim Mason. Under his leadership, Scouts were back in finals and a crowd favorite, doing Madison-esque shows but with competitive prowess. Then the alumni again got aggressive and ran the successful design team and instructors off, thinking if they would hire past Scouts members instead, the corps would do better competitively. Well- it is 2019, are your negative actions working for you alumni? That said, I applaud those alumni that remain loyal, introspective and outro-spective, member-centric, and kind. 

The 2006 Madison Scouts were the hardest working corps I have ever taught. Their show was flawed but aggressive, difficult but rewarding, pushing the envelope, but accessible in many ways. There were many obstacles to overcome that season that should not be discussed here. The achievement level demonstrated on this video and finals is astonishing. Doesn’t that count for something? The work ethic and drive of young people that want to not only to be good, but deserve to be good as well is the Scouts way? Is it not?

Alumni, if you think your money, or opinion, or years in the corps somehow entitles you- YOU have 100% missed the point of, MYNWA. Peace.   

https://www.facebook.com/james.andrzejek/videos/10150155607901248/UzpfSTEyNDAxMjU3NzE6MTAyMTQ4MDg2NjYzMTA0NjY/

BRAVO! ( and duck)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not everyone in a 300 member university marching band receives scholarships either. But I was merely pointing out that many corps did, and still do, offer performers they want to retain some sort of financial help.

and yet again, you duck, doge spin parry and thrust...a kid has a miserable experience...yet you want him forced to stay. What is the logic behind this?

Edited by Jeff Ream

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

and yet again, you duck, doge spin parry and thrust...a kid has a miserable experience...yet you want him forced to stay. What is the logic behind this?

Sacrifice, and to teach the youngins a lesson for messing up his lawn, apparently 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Show me where I said anyone was 'forced' to stay in a situation they hated without the free will option to leave and go home. If you can do that I shall respond.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

BRAVO! ( and duck)

Yep. Ducking practice has well begun. Helmet on and honesty held as a shield. Bring it !!  

All other things remaining the same, you could’ve swapped out the entirety of membership between Madison and SCV in the preseason and Madison would still be placing low. It comes down to design and instruction. Always. Nail those two down and the rest will eventually follow.

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My god you really are a real life Dwight Schrute 

Had to look that up. I do not watch much TV. I mainly read. Currently in the middle of a book entitled Scalia Speaks. Ya might want to pick up a copy.

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that $5k covers all camps, all of spring training and tour. It isn't cheap to move 154 kids plus staff  as well as feed and house them.

Still ridiculous. I paid a quarter of that in the 2000's. Diesel fuel is half what is was 10 years ago. 

Corps are directly to blame for driving the costs up. I think we could do without the extra instruments, props, constant uniform changes...unless the corps can find some way of paying for this without passing the costs on to the members

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Show me where I said anyone was 'forced' to stay in a situation they hated without the free will option to leave and go home. If you can do that I shall respond.

you want to entirely impede the option of kids going to a different corps, or at least significantly do so. A kid honors their season long commitment, and wants to go. you want eliminate corps hopping. You want to crow about honoring a commitment...well the kid did. they finished the year they signed a contract for. You're trying to make that contract for multiple seasons.

3 minutes ago, derbydawg said:

Yep. Ducking practice has well begun. Helmet on and honesty held as a shield. Bring it !!  

having said similar in the other thread, without the first hand knowledge you discuss, i know i have gotten a ton of crap. I applaud you