Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

16 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Maybe BD is just really good visually?  

😮

Maybe blue Devils are always really good at visual. Let’s face it, they’re always really good in everything. I don’t know why people are shocked. At the end of the season, when most of the other corps are hitting a wall, they are reinventing every tiny little thing that stands between them and a gold medal and executing. They are only able to do that because of the talent and depth of their marching members. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This is very likely why blue Devils are going to win the gold. At the end of the season, they are able to dissect the show for the perspective of the judges, make small changes that they can execute, show them to the judges, and improve on the sheets enough to win. At the end it is a technical execution for that team and no one does it better.

And I will say this again, having been a follower of this activity for a very long time. What they can do in the last third of a season, historically, no one else can do, because they have the most experienced and most athletically gifted members from top to bottom. The athleticism that you have as a 22-year-old who has marched for four years is completely different then the athleticism of a highschooler in there first or second year. You hit a wall that you can’t overcome when you’re younger.

Look.

The winner is going to win by a small margin and a mixed bag of ordinals with an array of 2nd place finishes.

That's the scenario and that's all I'm saying.

These other groups (and design/teaching staff) aren't chopped liver either.  BD is getting mached by 4 other corps in the full gamut of ordinals.

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I would hope that my comments would not be construed as suggesting anything to the contrary.

I distinctly recall posting the observation last night that the criticism of BD not marching and playing is nonsense.  They are hauling and showcasing more classic visual content in their ballad than any of the others.

You’re good, I wasn’t referring to anyone in particular.   I enjoy your thoughts!   

Edited by DrumManTx

Imagine for a minute that drum Corps is like the Southeastern conference in football. But, there are no rules that force kids to sit out one season if they transfer.

All Alabama would need to do is open up camp where they could try out all the best players from the other conference schools, pick apart the rosters, sign up those kids for a one year turn, and win the title.

Alabama would never even have to recruit high school kids. And, why would they? They could simply weaken all of their competition by taking their best players. 

Im not saying it’s wrong, it’s the way the game is played. Historically no one plays it better than BD. Kids who have paid their dues, literally, want a medal. They are aging out and they want to go out on the medal stand. 

Edited by MikeRapp

12 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

There is nothing unusual about their visual score.  Winning with merely a win in visual minus guard is unique.

I think you may be missing the forest from the trees in my comments on the recaps and the competitive situation this year.

You quite literally said the words "BD nearly did it last night by depending on unlikely point acquisition in visual."

There's no paraphrasing being done. No one is missing the forest from the trees. You misspoke, which is fine, I just wanted to clarify

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This is very likely why blue Devils are going to win the gold. At the end of the season, they are able to dissect the show for the perspective of the judges, make small changes that they can execute, show them to the judges, and improve on the sheets enough to win. At the end it is a technical execution for that team and no one does it better.

And I will say this again, having been a follower of this activity for a very long time. What they can do in the last third of a season, historically, no one else can do, because they have the most experienced and most athletically gifted members from top to bottom. The athleticism that you have as a 22-year-old who has marched for four years is completely different then the athleticism of a highschooler in there first or second year. You hit a wall that you can’t overcome when you’re younger.

Look.

The winner is going to win by a small margin and a mixed bag of ordinals with an array of 2nd place finishes.

These other groups (and design/teaching staff) aren't chopped liver either.  BD is getting mached by 4 other corps in the full gamut of ordinals.

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Look.

I’m just telling you, all things being equal, BD is going to win. The judges know them and they know BD is going to execute ALL of those little things that make up that margin. They have this thing figured out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You quite literally said the words "BD nearly did it last night by depending on unlikely point acquisition in visual."

There's no paraphrasing being done. No one is missing the forest from the trees. You misspoke, which is fine, I just wanted to clarify

Poorly worded.

Unlikely route to win overall... Not unlikely for them to win those visual captions.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I’m just telling you, all things being equal, BD is going to win. The judges know them and they know BD is going to execute ALL of those little things that make up that margin. They have this thing figured out.

I'm telling YOU that 2013 happened.

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Maybe blue Devils are always really good at visual. Let’s face it, they’re always really good in everything. I don’t know why people are shocked. At the end of the season, when most of the other corps are hitting a wall, they are reinventing every tiny little thing that stands between them and a gold medal and executing. They are only able to do that because of the talent and depth of their marching members. 

Nobody is shocked.