Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's very hard to win a show by losing GE and music.

Their win was scraped out by point acquisition in the visual caption (even though they were 2nd in Guard).  Their close competitiveness in GE was enough to make it work without winning the biggest caption (GE) and also getting shuffled in the mix on music (4th in MA and Perc).

That is a very highly unlikely route to a win... almost as unlikely as what Bloo did in San Antonio.

Unlikely because up until a couple years ago, the competition at the top was never this tight. It used to be uncommon for the champion to not win the majority of captions but now...5th place (4 pts off 1st) is winning a caption as is the 4th place corps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I've said it before... have been saying it for years... and I'll say it again.

It IS possible to win a show without winning any captions.  Bloo did it in San Antonio, BD nearly did it last night by depending on unlikely point acquisition in visual.

This is a season that could facilitate the occurrence for either BD or Bloo given the competition of SCV and Crown.

Edit: and Boston (sorry)

This is very likely why blue Devils are going to win the gold. At the end of the season, they are able to dissect the show for the perspective of the judges, make small changes that they can execute, show them to the judges, and improve on the sheets enough to win. At the end it is a technical execution for that team and no one does it better.

And I will say this again, having been a follower of this activity for a very long time. What they can do in the last third of a season, historically, no one else can do, because they have the most experienced and most athletically gifted members from top to bottom. The athleticism that you have as a 22-year-old who has marched for four years is completely different then the athleticism of a highschooler in there first or second year. You hit a wall that you can’t overcome when you’re younger.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's very hard to win a show by losing GE and music.

Their win was scraped out by point acquisition in the visual caption (even though they were 2nd in Guard).  Their close competitiveness in GE was enough to make it work without winning the biggest caption (GE) and also getting shuffled in the mix on music (4th in MA and Perc).

That is a very highly unlikely route to a win... almost as unlikely as what Bloo did in San Antonio.

What is unusual about their visual scores?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Pretty much said BD needed Chumley for the win.

And Chumley is judging VA tonight, a caption that BD almost always excels in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Maybe BD is just really good visually?  

😮

Wow, now that's a surprising development! 😱

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

hmmm seems like a few of his decisions put the group in this position to begin with....what makes you so certain he s the one to correct it?

Colin wrote a book that is either too dense to be appreciated by drum judges (staging doesn't help) or difficult too perform and is less musical than the competition. Note, content doesn't always equal demand.

On top of that he chose 10 snares to clean a book that requires utmost clarity to be appreciated.

Who knows, they may correct course, is Colin one for self-reflection?

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What is unusual about their visual scores?

There is nothing unusual about their visual score.  Winning with merely a win in visual minus guard is unique.

I think you may be missing the forest from the trees in my comments on the recaps and the competitive situation this year.

11 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Maybe BD is just really good visually?  

😮

I would hope that my comments would not be construed as suggesting anything to the contrary.

I distinctly recall posting the observation last night that the criticism of BD not marching and playing is nonsense.  They are hauling and showcasing more classic visual content in their ballad than any of the others.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2