Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ahhh Chumley

So Boston hope Mr's. Prosperie and Chumley are not doing finals?

18 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yeah that's the winning ticket right there.

15 minutes ago, pbeau said:

Got murdered in percussion tonight otherwise they would be a solid 4th.

11 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Chumley and Percussion made the difference..

8th in percussion is just a slap in Colin's face he's got to be fuming with this judge....

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

every one of those percussion sections are incredible. someone had to be 8th

8 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Or they just need to be cleaner.

Might be a simple case of not pulling the plug on 10 snares before/during ST.  They probably only have to A-Town to make a move in scoring so may the next eight days be magical for the line. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

This I can agree with, Its similar to the Horn book, Not much variation...

But to be discounted just on the style of writing to affect them this much?

What could he do at this point besides do wholesale changes to enter sections of the book?

It seems to come down to show composition. If they can't play it clean now some things just will never get there. I just watched a YT video for them from the lot somewhere and and I heard some blown attacks on rim shots. Some really thick fivelets thrown in there. They cooking along at close to 200 BPM and it isn't easy to drum well at that tempo with any sort of difficulty in the book. What they are trying to do is a whole different animal than what SCV and BD do in their writing style. Boston probably has the hardest battery book in all of DCI.

Edited by gbass598
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I'm not buying that. They legitimately have a full thick sound because of the battery scoring. I haven't seen the show enough to comment on the front ensemble but the videos of the battery I'd seen feel like they are yelling at me for 5 minutes.

Its a non stop barrage and assault of FFFF. Needs more musicality and touch. It drives me nuts when writers try to win the notes contest.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm starting to think that some of things that the line is playing on side 1 with the snare line in a diagonal is making the line sound fuzzy from the front side line because the sound coming from the line is not reaching the judge at the same time.. 

These guys in the LOT sound phenomenal to my Ears.. 

It must be a listening environment/drill situation that is making the judge perceive that they are not clean, or Wide... In years past the Judge would be able to stand in front of Center and get a good read regardless of the Drill. This year the Judge is limited so if the line sounds dirty from the Front sideline, they are dirty regardless of how they are playing towards Center.

Looking at other groups, the lines seem to be flat to the front when not close to the Front sideline to make sure the sound is getting there together.

Or they are just struggling with 10 Snares and 3 tenors to get the balance right...

Whatever it is Time is running out to change the Perception (Slotting) that would doom the Line going into Finals Week.

No offense, but that sounds like mental gymnastics to me.

This judge just called it the way they saw it.

Oh well, there's tomorrow and finals!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Just now, Musicman1084 said:

And start by getting rid of the never ending 4's and stick clicks.

Those quadruple strokes they thrown in at the tempo are inconsistently clear as well. It's ballsy to be doing what they are doing with 10 snares.

3 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

It seems to come down to show composition. If they can't play it clean now some things just will never get there. I just watched a YT video for them from the lot somewhere and and I heard some blown attacks on rim shots. Some really thick fivelets thrown in there. They cooking along at close to 200 BPM and it isn't easy to drum well at that tempo with any sort of difficulty in the book. What they are trying to do is a whole different animal than what SCV and BD do in their writing style. Boston probably has the hardest battery book in all of DCI.

Appreciate the insight from a Recent Drum guy.. Its so hard to tell the difference at this level.. Probably very few can.

1 minute ago, gbass598 said:

Those quadruple strokes they thrown in at the tempo are inconsistently clear as well. It's ballsy to be doing what they are doing with 10 snares.

The biggest question is risk vs reward.  It's coming down to the wire & they're not getting rewarded in content or achievement for this book.  They have very little time off to make any major changes (lots of shows & long trips).  At this point, do you leave the book alone & hope to be rewarded or make a change to reduce the risk? 

Just now, Glenn426 said:

Appreciate the insight from a Recent Drum guy.. Its so hard to tell the difference at this level.. Probably very few can.

It's definitely been a trend for them over the last couple of years. I thought Boston last year was going to be a real strong contender for the drum title early season but it just never got clean enough. They are creating an identity to get them into the top 6 consistently with the staff they have but now they need to look at redefining that approach further from a design perspective if they really want to contend for titles. They took a lot of risks this year and sometimes it just doesn't pay off. Having only 3 tenors against 10 snares doesn't help either. At this point it seems like a real big risk to even try to introduce a 4th tenor into the show with only a couple of weeks left. It might make things worse.