Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was thrilled to make finals bottom tier both times.   

Same here

• Like 1

OMG!

Wasn't paying attention to last night's score as I'm at work. Just checked the Recap from last night and BD managed to just squeak by Bloo with the thinnest of margins.

WOW, WOW WOW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The less I stare at captions the more I seem to enjoy all the shows. I am as fierce a competitor as anyone. But sheesh these are kids. They paid for a summer internship. What I love most is when I see kids clearly having a great time. What kills me most is the vision of a kid crying because they didn’t make finals. While two or three corps are dissecting every single note and step to get an edge, let’s remember that the season ends for everyone, and at that moment each and every kid goes back to their former life.

When I see us saying this corps should be terrified by that corps, we have jumped the shark big time. I hope beyond all hope that kids aren’t losing sleep because they are “terrified” of another corps. It’s band, it’s not war. 

Kids may realistically know they won’t medal or perhaps make finals, but the competitive aspect is still key. If you look at shows that plateau early, it is often shows that are not competitive. I also think what corps are realistically competing for is important. My guess is Pacific Crest will be pushing themselves hard in the next few weeks, hoping people will see them in cinemas for the first time. I have no question Spirit and Phantom’s best performances of the season will be at semi’s fighting for a spot in finals. The top three will be competing on Friday in Allentown, but the fiercest night competitively will be Saturday between Crown, Cavies, and BAC. 

However, you make good points about the importance of the experience, but do the kids see themselves as paying for an internship when they had to audition, which is a form of competing, to march in the first place? 

Kids aren’t all the same. When you get to age out age things begin to change. Loyalties tend to be less important.

Vandy has three football players this coming year who will likely be first and second round draft picks. Best tight end in all of football. If Nick Saban could call and recruit them to play for him and likely win an SEC and maybe even a national title, I dare say all three of them might go.

Edited by MikeRapp

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

That is a dated perspective of recruitment in DCI.  These other contending corps are running multiple camps in multiple locations and picking up mostly veterans and collegiate music majors.

Blue Devils don't have a monopoly on talent in the way that they may have in the 90's-2010-ish.

That's why BD had to scrape out a win last night and it's going to continue that way.

Good points. The top 6 or so corps all have capable talent. There is more than enough talent in those top corps. A look at brass, percussion, and guard scoring tells that story. 

In the past BD was typically one of the 1 or 2 best brass lines in DCI. That seems to be evaporating. Percussion is becoming fiercely competitive as well. But in the end what the Blue Devils do well is this: A) they will be competitive in most performance captions, and B) they know how to design. And we know design and teaching is a major key to success in DCI. They are the masters. 

I am definitely loving this battle for 1st (among the other terrific battles for top 12 and beyond). I do not rule SCV out of this just yet (fantastic music ensemble), but I do feel the judges have made up their minds that unless they see major changes or improvements from some of the other contenders, this race is about BD and BLOO. The primary reason is design, but both corps are performing well, too. I love that both corps came out to entertain, and both shows are very appealing to the fans. I feel like SCV missed the mark by just a pinch with their design, but if I listen to that music ensemble of theirs I am happy as can be. Same with Carolina. Design just missed the mark, but music ensemble is worth the price. Boston has a more complete package and I would not be shocked to see Boston not only pass Crown, but possibly SCV down the stretch. If they clean and get those percussion numbers up, Boston could be a surprise corps. They have the design. Cavaliers also have fantastic design and a fun show. 

But once again I am blown away with what the Bluecoats and BD continue to design and put on the field. DCI will do well and sell buckets of tickets if more corps think about design like the Bluecoats and Blue Devils do.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, skcoop63 said:

How do you remain a lard a** this far into the season?!

posted from the DrumScorps app

I'm not sure. How do you remain offensive this far into life?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, skcoop63 said:

How do you remain a lard a** this far into the season?!

posted from the DrumScorps app

Who are you speaking to? And perhaps you can offer an intelligent post to explain yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skcoop63 said:

I love watching all the easily offended go off. I’ve got my popcorn.

I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about.

I'm mean calling anyone a lardass is pretty classless, but I wasn't quite there yet.

Make sure you leave the butter off of that popcorn lest you be a hypocrite too!  

• Haha 2