the gooy goo thread

So I think SCV is an example of going into the next phase and evolution of this live micing.

The Whole reason for the octave drop Bass note is to add a strong musical base to build your triad of sound on. The stronger that bass is, the louder the higher voices are allowed to  sound without breaking the pyramid of sound. 

SCV this year have decided to mic the Contras. And Through live Micing of their sound so that the higher voices can increase their volume without breaking the balance. And to me it is amazing because the Contras can worry about solid even tone, quality of sound, Stagger breathing and not having to worry about pumping up the Volume which usually resorts to 4-6 beats of solid sound and then having to take a breath. 

Their micing of the 12 Soloist in Ouroboros was amazing and very well done. Their micing in general has been at the forefront of the activity, I rarely have had an issue with something that they are doing being out of balance or "cheap"

They to my ears are one of the few who are not consistently lacing in Choral Patches or artificial sounds to segway an entire segment, and they are also one of the few top corps that doesnt have a full Mic array on the front Sideline.

Outside of the Contras and soloist their hornline is not being artificially enhanced.

And to me that is the problem, is that the Corps who are doing that, are at the top of the Music Captions right now. Their Music analysis now is including the judging of artificial elements that the Corps member have no part in performing, Those segments that are artificial will always be solid, always in tune, no fracks, no Finals night jitters. Those hornlines will always sound powerful and enormous regardless of how the hornline plays that night. And to me, the design teams are earning 25% of that Music Analysis score, not the musicians on the field. 

This most recent trend of instead of having the synth play low notes to add to the pyramid but instead go for high notes that increase the volume and change the timbre of the hornline are where my electronic limit is. As well as entire musical phrases completely and solely being produced by pre-recorded sound, Should definitely not be judged in the same manner as live performers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glenn426 makes a very ‘sound’ explanation of the right/wrong way to utilize the high talent level of DCI brass players. Whatever Vanguard is doing does sound better to my ears. Glad to hear Vanguard is not trying to dial-up the entire ensemble like their tier competitors are. I’ve always enjoyed SCV’S smooth tonal quality, and they still  match the others in decibels as I hear it.

Interesting.

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

...  Do any corps have any unmiced solos any more? Are members even still capable of playing them?

On a related note, I have the same concerns about musicians being able to "march drill" in the future. Will they eventually look like this? rawgif.gif?auto=format,compress&w=498&gi

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

when it comes to goo, some people just want that deep bass sound as if they are at a Rush concert and Geddy is throwing down. The problem is when you sit lower, yeah it's gonna suck, or watching online because of where they place the mics, yeah it could be an issue. I remember a few years ago, there was a corps every show on Flo oh my god, it was horrible. Saw them live....barely noticed it.

When I listen to Rush, Yes, etc.  I have my subwoofer set at a normal level.  When I watch Drum Corps on Flo, I turn down my subwoofer.  Speaker placement live vs. what is fed through Flo makes all the difference when watching on Flo. 

I agree that it isn't as big an issue when I am at the stadium for a live performance.  Then again, if I am right in front of the speaker at a Rush concert or a Yes concert, I hear everything.   Wait, what was that, I couldn't hear you..............................

1 minute ago, Old Corps Guy said:

When I listen to Rush, Yes, etc.  I have my subwoofer set at a normal level.  When I watch Drum Corps on Flo, I turn down my subwoofer.  Speaker placement live vs. what is fed through Flo makes all the difference when watching on Flo. 

I agree that it isn't as big an issue when I am at the stadium for a live performance.  Then again, if I am right in front of the speaker at a Rush concert or a Yes concert, I hear everything.   Wait, what was that, I couldn't hear you..............................

last time i was by speakers at Rush, i heard Geddy, lots of Geddy. too much Geddy