What would you think if...

Just now, Cappybara said:

Between him and Marimba, I'm not too sure whether the differences between facts and opinions are as apparent to people as I thought. 

Ah, to be fair, some people just like a good argument. I imagine if we all sat down at the same show, our opinions wouldn't be so far apart as they seem to be here in the ether.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not asking for a "tick" for every mistake. I am asking for the GE and MA captions to be visibly affected when big moments are ruined due to electronic mishaps, whether it was in the members' hands or not. The staff should've had a backup or designed around it and not put the members in that position

Yep not calling for tics to come back either. But not sure if mistakes are taken into account or just ignored as design and the “total package” drives the buggy anymore

yeah drives the buggy as live near PA Dutch country

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

The tick system was long gone when you marched, right? And certainly it was "recently" when you saw this happen. If it truly was just one stray error, fine, let it go. But think of all the trips and falls on Cavaliers' tarps last year. Should the judges have just pretended that wasn't happening? Even the visual caption judge should have said, in my opinion: "Look, you knew there was a tarp there and that it had a tendency to peel away from the field, so every time you crossed over it, you should have been using a very high step so as to avoid catching your foot on it."

Long ago, when I was in marching band, but not so long that there were still ticks (if that system ever had them), I misjudged how much air I had and ran out during a long note. So I took a breath and on a judge's tape --as I found out on the bus ride home-- my re-entrance in the middle of the note was clearly audible. It's bugged me for nearly 30 years. And the judge heard it and commented on it. Whether he reduced our musical score by some specific amount in his mind I can't say. But he absolutely would have been right to do so and not ignore it as just one tuba player having a bad moment.

I have news for you.  In DCI drumcorps, there is a TON of bumping and grinding going down on that field to make it all work.  It's never exactly the same twice.  The more difficult and higher ranking the content... the more close calls and grazing moments.  The fields are all unique.  They change the way you respond... and perceive your response musically and physically.  That's just the extreme tip of the iceberg.

There isn't a tick sheet big enough to account for it all.

That's. not. what. they. show. up. for.

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You do know the difference between fact and opinion right? 

I don't follow your point.  I also don't see that system in use any more. That's a fact.  It's gone for reasons of irrelevance and adequacy.  Also a fact.

As a historical note NanciD who used to post here had a website with mid 60s drum corps papers. One of the big controversies then was changing scoring so GE took up more of the system instead of almost all execution.  IMO when tics were removed it just finished that. IOW nothing new under the sun

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah, to be fair, some people just like a good argument. I imagine if we all sat down at the same show, our opinions wouldn't be so far apart as they seem to be here in the ether.

To be fair.  I am defending the practice as it has been decided and stands.  It's not as if I am interjecting radical or baseless ideas here.

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't follow your point.  I also don't see that system in use any more. That's a fact.  It's gone for reasons of irrelevance and adequacy.  Also a fact.

So you’re saying it’s a fact that the reasons were because being irrelevant and not adequate? Would like to know where you got that from as don’t remember those words being used when DCI and later DCA changed the system.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

So you’re saying it’s a fact that the reasons were irrelevant and adequacy? Would like to know where you got that from as don’t remember those words being used when DCI and later DCA changed the system.

The system lacked relevance and proved to be inadequate to the vision of the activity.

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

I have news for you.  In DCI drumcorps, there is a TON of bumping and grinding going down on that field to make it all work.  It's never exactly the same twice.  The more difficult and higher ranking the content... the more close calls and grazing moments.  The fields are all unique.  They change the way you respond... and perceive your response musically and physically.  That's just the extreme tip of the iceberg.

There isn't a tick sheet big enough to account for it all.

That's. not. what. they. show. up. for.

So many people here last year (and in other years) have warned about the risks of tarps. Any corps who chooses to use a tarp does so hoping to get credit for it. Reward comes with risk. Achieve or don't. Expect a lower score when you don't.

(And who is "they"?)

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

The system lacked relevance and proved to be inadequate to the vision of the activity.

And you’re still voicing stone cold fact and not your opinion on reason for changes to scoring system? 

I give up trying to explain the difference, time for bedtime anyway and that 6am alarm

Edited by JimF-LowBari