What would you think if...

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

So many people here last year (and in other years) have warned about the risks of tarps. Any corps who chooses to use a tarp does so hoping to get credit for it. Reward comes with risk. Achieve or don't. Expect a lower score when you don't.

(And who is "they"?)

I didn't get to respond to the Cavalier tarp issue yet (not sure if you brought it up).  What was the Cavalier's visual content and achievement score?

How do you know that they were not advised on their tarp?  Did their placement and score not reflect their content and achievement as per the tarp issue? What score did they deserve?

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

And you’re still voicing stone cold fact and not your opinion?

I give up trying to explain the difference time for bedtime anyway and that 6am alarm

What are you talking about?  Just say it, man.  I can respond better if you make a claim.

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's gone for reasons of irrelevance and adequacy.  Also a fact.

Is this a fact?

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

What are you talking about?  Just say it, man.  I can respond better if you make a claim.

I’m responding to your last response to me, I don’t get how that is so hard to follow. 

You claim to know why tics were dropped and give nothing to back up the “facts” as you put it. Then in your post to NE you state as a fact why people... come.. to... the ... shows... Again looks like your opinion but you talk like it is a fact

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not asking for a "tick" for every mistake. I am asking for the GE and MA captions to be visibly affected when big moments are ruined due to electronic mishaps, whether it was in the members' hands or not. The staff should've had a backup or designed around it and not put the members in that position

You are asking for electronics to get special scrutiny in the event of error... but not that the same would happen for all other errors.

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

You are asking for electronics to get special scrutiny in the event of error... but not that the same would happen for all other errors.

Hmm not only are you confusing facts from opinion, but now you're just making assumptions out of nowhere. I never said anything about the bolded sentence. You assumed it. I hope I don't have to pull out the dictionary for that word either.

Electronics, by the nature of dependence corps have on them these days, cause large disruptions in a performance (if something goes wrong). These disruptions have a negative consequence on the effectiveness of the performance and the music, and it should be reflected as such in the scoring sheet. A frack from a trumpet during a solo isn't even comparable. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

My memory of dropping execution (aka tic part of scoring) was continuing the decades long move to all GE. Not a “holy crap the tic system is killing drum corps” but part of the evolution (yeah I said that word) to what we have today. 

Kinda of like the pit came about not because marching tymps and bells were irrelevant but so drum drill could open up. (That discussion I remember in Drum Corps News)

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Is this a fact?

Yes.

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not asking for a "tick" for every mistake. I am asking for the GE and MA captions to be visibly affected when big moments are ruined due to electronic mishaps, whether it was in the members' hands or not. The staff should've had a backup or designed around it and not put the members in that position

Wouldn't it be cool if Competition Suite had strikethrough and red font color options? Then, you could visibly SEE what the judge would have given the corps had the electronics been perfect, but also what score she/he/they actually gave them. Maybe a little subscript code for reason.

9.59.4SM

*SM=Soloist Mic mishap

• Like 2

Just now, Precious Roy said:

Wouldn't it be cool if Competition Suite had strikethrough and red font color options? Then, you could visibly SEE what the judge would have given the corps had the electronics been perfect, but also what score she/he/they actually gave them. Maybe a little subscript code for reason.

9.59.4SM

*SM=Soloist Mic mishap

I think there would be a good use for that for big blunders, but would be wholly unnecessary for smaller issues or otherwise we'd essentially be going back to the tick system