What would you think if...

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually .1 not a full point. And I’d say part of achievement is not having those fracks or oh crap drill screw ups.

That's not reality... In any era or idiom of performance.

Just now, Cappybara said:

I'd argue that since the staff put the members in control of the electronics, it is within their hands. 

Did they? I didn't know that. The microphone went bad during Semifinals and then again during Finals. Did the members have a backup microphone they didn't use? Were they issued funds to buy a new one overnight? If there was no wireless backup option available, were the members authorized to set up a wired microphone on the front sideline? Was the singer authorized to leave her place in the drill and go to that sideline microphone so that her solos, i.e. the melody of two of Crown's four songs, would be audible?

I seriously don't know how that sort of thing is generally handled or was being handled in that instance.

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ok let’s split hairs... having less mistakes than your last show is an achievement to strive for..

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

It was reality until 1984, no?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'd argue that since the staff put the members in control of the electronics, it is within their hands. 

Did they put the members in control of the electronics? I don't know how Crown runs (ran?) their sound board/microphone management (whether they have a dedicated electronics technician on staff or if it was member responsibility to ensure that all batteries were charged, frequencies were selected to have minimal interference, etc.).

Regardless, it was the staff's decision not to have a backup plan (sideline mic wired in?) in case the soloist's mic went out.

It should also be noted that Crown's music analysis score did go down that night, but by an amount commeasurate with everyone else (the only two corps whose scores went up that night were Cavies and BD).

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Not true.  Been there.  Things happen beyond your individual control all the time... You are left to contend with it as best you can.

I recently saw a young man stumbling over a piece of uniform that had come loose and dragged around his feet.  He was clearly concerned about reaching down to deal with it during a stop in the action... I know that feeling, that you can't break the picture (due to a fear of being adjudicated with a 'tick').

It's dumb.

Well, once upon a time there were uniform inspections that might have caught a problem like that.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Did they? I didn't know that. The microphone went bad during Semifinals and then again during Finals. Did the members have a backup microphone they didn't use? Were they issued funds to buy a new one overnight? If there was no wireless backup option available, were the members authorized to set up a wired microphone on the front sideline? Was the singer authorized to leave her place in the drill and go to that sideline microphone so that her solos, i.e. the melody of two of Crown's four songs, would be audible?

I seriously don't know how that sort of thing is generally handled or was being handled in that instance.

Side-note: we're having, like, DrumManTx/KVG_DG levels of same-brain going right now, and it's kinda confusing and also kinda fun?

• Haha 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek here but not succeeding. Basically my position is that the corps staff design a show, establish guidelines, and then come performance time, no matter what it is, the onus is on the members to execute. Mic went bad? Yeah, maybe the members themselves didn't actually do anything wrong to cause it to stop working, but the staff still put them in that position and as a result the corps should be punished for the mistake during the performance. 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are there infinite errors in drum corps?

Definition 2.  Determinible by measurement.

In my world, most words have more than one meaning.

Just now, Cappybara said:

I'm trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek here but not succeeding. Basically my position is that the corps staff design a show, establish guidelines, and then come performance time, no matter what it is, the onus is on the members to execute. Mic went bad? Yeah, maybe the members themselves didn't actually do anything wrong to cause it to stop working, but the staff still put them in that position and as a result the corps should be punished for the mistake during the performance. 

Nobody shows up to be 'punished'.