What would you think if...

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Nobody shows up to be 'punished'.

Where did I say they did?

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, once upon a time there were uniform inspections that might have caught a problem like that.

Nonsense.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It was reality until 1984, no?

They were kidding themselves... And they knew it.  That's why it's gone.

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Not true.  Been there.  Things happen beyond your individual control all the time... You are left to contend with it as best you can.

I recently saw a young man stumbling over a piece of uniform that had come loose and dragged around his feet.  He was clearly concerned about reaching down to deal with it during a stop in the action... I know that feeling, that you can't break the picture (due to a fear of being adjudicated with a 'tick').

It's dumb.

The tick system was long gone when you marched, right? And certainly it was "recently" when you saw this happen. If it truly was just one stray error, fine, let it go. But think of all the trips and falls on Cavaliers' tarps last year. Should the judges have just pretended that wasn't happening? Even the visual caption judge should have said, in my opinion: "Look, you knew there was a tarp there and that it had a tendency to peel away from the field, so every time you crossed over it, you should have been using a very high step so as to avoid catching your foot on it."

Long ago, when I was in marching band, but not so long that there were still ticks (if that system ever had them), I misjudged how much air I had and ran out during a long note. So I took a breath and on a judge's tape --as I found out on the bus ride home-- my re-entrance in the middle of the note was clearly audible. It's bugged me for nearly 30 years. And the judge heard it and commented on it. Whether he reduced our musical score by some specific amount in his mind I can't say. But he absolutely would have been right to do so and not ignore it as just one tuba player having a bad moment.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Where did I say they did?

Member getting ticked is a punishment from what I can tell. 

So much for one of my “growing up” moments when I joined a Sr corps at 16. We “kids” were told that judges would mark us for mistakes just like the long term members (adults). So instructors would treat us just like the adults when we would screw up at practice. IOW we would both get grumped at... equally

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They were kidding themselves... And they knew it.  That's why it's gone.

You do know the difference between fact and opinion right? 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Member getting ticked is a punishment from what I can tell. 

So much for one of my “growing up” moments when I joined a Sr corps at 16. We “kids” were told that judges would mark us for mistakes just like the long term members (adults). So instructors would treat us just like the adults when we would screw up at practice. IOW we would both get grumped at... equally

I'm not asking for a "tick" for every mistake. I am asking for the GE and MA captions to be visibly affected when big moments are ruined due to electronic mishaps, whether it was in the members' hands or not. The staff should've had a backup or designed around it and not put the members in that position

• Like 2

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

You do know the difference between fact and opinion right? 

Between him and Marimba, I'm not too sure whether the differences between facts and opinions are as apparent to people as I thought. 

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek here but not succeeding. Basically my position is that the corps staff design a show, establish guidelines, and then come performance time, no matter what it is, the onus is on the members to execute. Mic went bad? Yeah, maybe the members themselves didn't actually do anything wrong to cause it to stop working, but the staff still put them in that position and as a result the corps should be punished for the mistake during the performance. 

OK, I think we're on the same page then. Sorry to have taken you too seriously!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Definition 2.  Determinable by measurement.

In my world, most words have more than one meaning.

In my world too. (I think it's the same as yours.)