What would you think if...

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1. I'd be willing to stipulate that some (very few) actual mistakes that have happened over the years are not within the control of the corps.

2. And in recent years, there have been a number of mistakes that are within the control of the corps, but NOT within the control of the members.

Do you have an example? 

3 hours ago, One n Done said:

It is obtuse to imply that sound and props don’t impact perception and even placement.  It is callous to say, “well, go make more money”.  Fans are seeing and hearing an unbelievable level of entertainment.  But, consider the cost and what it might be taking away from the member experience and strain it places on each organization.  

Why aren't the corps themselves the best to evaluate the costs and the impact on their members' experiences?

Basically, when it's time to vote on rules for electronics, the Bluecoats only get one vote. If what you say is true, why haven't the majority of the corps voted to ban or limit electronics?

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

We HAVE the middle road right now.  They are rated on content and achievement (with demonstrable inter-rater reliability).

Some are choosing to pretend that we don't by complaining about a corps not losing a point for a specific fracked note or a hiccup in a mic feed.

Actually .1 not a full point. And I’d say part of achievement is not having those fracks or oh crap drill screw ups.

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Honestly do you see people as wanting all one side or the other and nothing in between? 

You make it sound like having a combo tick/GE scoring setup made life hell for the performers. If you had the right attitude it helped drive you to perform the cleanest show you could do. But that put the onus on the performers which seems not to be the case today with design driving the deal.

Yeah, there's a reason that captions have both content and achievement portions. If you have a caption that's harder than your competitor but you make a lot of mistakes, whether they're thought of as "ticks" or not, whether it's judged as "number of errors" or "insufficiency of achievement", your competitor with the safer show may overtake you. At least in any just system.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Do you have an example? 

Crown 2017.

17 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

What are you referring to?

Crown 2017.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Crown 2017.

I'd argue that since the staff put the members in control of the electronics, it is within their hands. 

Just now, ShortAndFast said:

Why aren't the corps themselves the best to evaluate the costs and the impact on their members' experiences?

Basically, when it's time to vote on rules for electronics, the Bluecoats only get one vote. If what you say is true, why haven't the majority of the corps voted to ban or limit electronics?

While not new, this is the best argument against my position.

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

All mistakes that occur on the field are within the control of the members. 

Not true.  Been there.  Things happen beyond your individual control all the time... You are left to contend with it as best you can.

I recently saw a young man stumbling over a piece of uniform that had come loose and dragged around his feet.  He was clearly concerned about reaching down to deal with it during a stop in the action... I know that feeling, that you can't break the picture (due to a fear of being adjudicated with a 'tick').

It's dumb.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, there's a reason that captions have both content and achievement portions. If you have a caption that's harder than your competitor but you make a lot of mistakes, whether they're thought of as "ticks" or not, whether it's judged as "number of errors" or "insufficiency of achievement", your competitor with the safer show may overtake you. At least in any just system.

Shhhh... some here might not like it that mistakes are actually taken into account😈

Seriously I know mistakes that can be seen affect the score but having a bit of fun comparing that to ye olde system. IIRC we had a content caption based on how hard the show was and how well we did it but the percent of the whole score was way too low IMO