Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Booking rights means they get first refusal on all dates.  It means Herco doesnt have to find acts to fill it, or staff it unless LN doesn't need the date.  It's LN's only stadium. 

Hmmmm... so if someone is stupid enough (traffic is a cluster... for the week) to want to book the stadium from LN same day as the race cars and high wheelers (1900s car with wooden buggy wheels). Ain’t enough popcorn for that mess....

note: car meet held same week every year and stadium event held same day of the week. Think contracts usually 2 years ahead of time

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hmmmm... so if someone is stupid enough (traffic is a cluster... for the week) to want to book the stadium from LN same day as the race cars and high wheelers (1900s car with wooden buggy wheels). Ain’t enough popcorn for that mess....

therein lies the rub.  LN is a tour producer.  You can't rent from them, at least the stadium.   They guarantee (x) amount of business over the course of a year, in return for exclusivity to produce their events in the spaces they either operate, or have first booking rights.  (or own/lease outright)

example.  LN has a 20 year lease on a venue near DC.  the lease has a clause that requires (x)%  of the calendar be available for community/local performances/rentals. (or 36 community based performances) See rental rates https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/rec/Resources/Files/fillmoreratecard.pdf  

The rest of the time is exclusive to LN booking of their own events.
Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat, (and some sun) are usually LN events.  So y'know, enjoy trying to put your fundraiser in the space on a wed or mon at their ridiculous rental rates. 

• Thanks 1

Lol have distant in law relatives in Silver Spring area. Should ask if they are familiar with that venue... thanks

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol have distant in law relatives in Silver Spring area. Should ask if they are familiar with that venue... thanks

they're probably familiar with the Wash Post article about the residents complaining that though there are 36 dates held for community events, no one can afford to rent the place for  said events.  

Its all hemorrhoid by design. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mick Krackin' said:

Interesting discussion, even without a lot of name calling and hurt feelings.  Still, I'll join in...  ; )

I believe DCA will be around in 5 years,  There are still many strong, stable corps as Members.  That's what DCA is.  The Member corps.  They vote on the rules.  They choose leadership.  They decide where Championships are held.  I've been to several annual meetings and rules congresses.  It's an all volunteer group, for the most part, and they have done a pretty good job of sustaining this activity for over 50 years. 

While I have been out of the loop for awhile, I remember that while there was always discussion about how to move forward, I think most of the people involved also recognized the fact that DCA is largely an insider activity.  A lot of people talk about growing the base and appealing to more marching band kids, but to be honest, I think that has to happen within the corps themselves.  They are going to be better able to reach out in a positive way to marching bands within a few hours of them, and build the participation level from within their own programs.  More members equals more spectators at shows, because let's be honest, the vast majority of people in the audience are family and friends of the performers on the field.  People that do not have any connection to DCA, other than they are or were in high school band just aren't going to buy very many tickets.  

As s former show sponsor, I can say that the model for growing new shows could be further developed.  At our show, we were fortunate enough to have a very generous business sponsor that allowed us to be profitable from year one.  Without that support, our shows would have barely broken even, after many many hours of hard work by a lot of people.  

I have always thought the corps could do more to help build the audiences at the shows that they go to.  They could fill their empty bus seats with their own family and friends.  As a show sponsor, I would have been more than willing to offer a fair split on pre-sold tickets with the corps that were in the show.  Bigger crowds lead to even bigger ones the next year, if one is running their show well.    

Well said, Dan. I remember you guys having a really good crowd at your show, and it was a  great venue.

4 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Doesn't need to.  Stadium operators don't need to hold out "just in case".   The concert contracts for 2020 summer are already being booked. Ozzy is already guaranteed a date. Elton John, Dixie Chicks, and the Avett Brothers' dates are already in the pipeline.  The state football contracts are already signed and deposits are put down.   Yes, all of these things can be moved for a cost.  Drum corps doesn't have the money to do that. Very few entities have the money to do that, but it is possible.   In entertainment, anything is possible as long as you can afford it.  The first question someone asks when you bring a project to the table in entertainment is "what is your budget?".   But the short answer, Live Nation, AEG... and all the other tour producers are finalizing their 2020 venues now, and they have holds on dates for 2021 and in some cases... even 2022 if the scale of the show is large enough. 

it was shown in Court hat the Big 33, an annual HS football all star game that ran in Hershey for at least 40 years, was also done on the same half ###ed method of contractual follow through. in the court room the judge trashed herco for their business practices....and then let them win the case. There's a lot more to the story than you're presuming. find the archives.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it was shown in Court hat the Big 33, an annual HS football all star game that ran in Hershey for at least 40 years, was also done on the same half ###ed method of contractual follow through. in the court room the judge trashed herco for their business practices....and then let them win the case. There's a lot more to the story than you're presuming. find the archives.

If there's no paperwork, there's no case.   If you book an event, and don't have any sort of written agreement, you can't be guaranteed anything.  Is this bad practice from a venue? absolutely.  But is the renter not responsible for securing paperwork on their event?  yes.     LN does not have any events without an agreement and rider. 

4 hours ago, Mick Krackin' said:

Interesting discussion, even without a lot of name calling and hurt feelings.  Still, I'll join in...  ; )

I believe DCA will be around in 5 years,  There are still many strong, stable corps as Members.  That's what DCA is.  The Member corps.  They vote on the rules.  They choose leadership.  They decide where Championships are held.  I've been to several annual meetings and rules congresses.  It's an all volunteer group, for the most part, and they have done a pretty good job of sustaining this activity for over 50 years. 

While I have been out of the loop for awhile, I remember that while there was always discussion about how to move forward, I think most of the people involved also recognized the fact that DCA is largely an insider activity.  A lot of people talk about growing the base and appealing to more marching band kids, but to be honest, I think that has to happen within the corps themselves.  They are going to be better able to reach out in a positive way to marching bands within a few hours of them, and build the participation level from within their own programs.  More members equals more spectators at shows, because let's be honest, the vast majority of people in the audience are family and friends of the performers on the field.  People that do not have any connection to DCA, other than they are or were in high school band just aren't going to buy very many tickets.  

As s former show sponsor, I can say that the model for growing new shows could be further developed.  At our show, we were fortunate enough to have a very generous business sponsor that allowed us to be profitable from year one.  Without that support, our shows would have barely broken even, after many many hours of hard work by a lot of people.  

I have always thought the corps could do more to help build the audiences at the shows that they go to.  They could fill their empty bus seats with their own family and friends.  As a show sponsor, I would have been more than willing to offer a fair split on pre-sold tickets with the corps that were in the show.  Bigger crowds lead to even bigger ones the next year, if one is running their show well.    

I agree with a lot however....if appealing to the kids has to come from the corps themselves, wy move championships to an area where there is not a lot of band kids? You know that region. there's maybe 8 bands up there that compete. Harrisburg has 3 times that spread over 3 circuits. Go east you have even more. so location does play a part in helping to grow the enterprise

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I agree with a lot however....if appealing to the kids has to come from the corps themselves, wy move championships to an area where there is not a lot of band kids? You know that region. there's maybe 8 bands up there that compete. Harrisburg has 3 times that spread over 3 circuits. Go east you have even more. so location does play a part in helping to grow the enterprise

was it cost?  since rochester was cheap/free.  and this stadium "renovated" itself for this event.   

where would be ok that's cheap/free in near harrisburg?

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

this is their best profit. they don't have to staff it, or electrify it, while money shows up. 

and lose money because events want to use the stadium that would generate more revenue. You're confusing with stadium and at times arena management with sound business practices. if it weren't for the hockey team and the amusement park, they'd be a ####### mess