Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

They're probably fine with that. At my local Merriweather Post Pavillion, a show with 6,000 attendance is considered a failure.

but 5 star reasearch at the time showed additional benefits that came with those 6-8000 fans in park attendance, local restaurant and hotel bookings and more...many of which owned by....HERCO

13 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

If there's no paperwork, there's no case.   If you book an event, and don't have any sort of written agreement, you can't be guaranteed anything.  Is this bad practice from a venue? absolutely.  But is the renter not responsible for securing paperwork on their event?  yes.     LN does not have any events without an agreement and rider. 

if the company refuses to give it....what can one do? These events had run in the stadium for 40+ years

7 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

was it cost?  since rochester was cheap/free.  and this stadium "renovated" itself for this event.   

where would be ok that's cheap/free in near harrisburg?

renovated? Well kinda. They added 2 new sections of bleachers, starting at I think the 20 yard line that sat empty. The existing bleachers were not touched and were dangerous to walk on. So if that's renovated...

but Rochester has more band kids in that region than Williamsport does. Williamsport is an oasis of looking semi urban surrounded by miles of farms, deer, elk, turkey farms, reptiland and nuclear power plants.

and cheap is only good if people actually want to show the hell up. It was thought that halfway between the southern part of PA and Rochester would draw from both regions that one or the other weren't getting before. And...well......how many unsold tickets today?

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

and lose money because events want to use the stadium that would generate more revenue. You're confusing with stadium and at times arena management with sound business practices. if it weren't for the hockey team and the amusement park, they'd be a ####### mess

not so much.  stadiums less than half full lose money. but stadiums that are paid to either sit dormant, or host events that require no staffing or electricity (such as during football camps during the day) do make money.  not much, but they don't lose it by paying operations staff to show up.  hockey arena's that can't get to 50% capacity really lose money.  i've already seen the issues with minor league hockey in small markets.  

back to DCA. location matters. to draw fans of all ages. Herco is old news and drum corps will never trust them again

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

back to DCA. location matters. to draw fans of all ages. Herco is old news and drum corps will never trust them again

my last trip to rochester, i felt very young in the stands.  very few band students.  not saying this can't change, but perhaps marketing was a concern.  

where would be better?   IF the marketing department can get their act together to sell tickets? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

They're probably fine with that. At my local Merriweather Post Pavillion, a show with 6,000 attendance is considered a failure.

I hear that...  that's the closest for me, too. Been to shows there that are jam-packed.

Last time there for me was 2011... my nephew is a huge Phish fan, and he talked me into going.

I knew absolutely nothing about Phish going in, other than that they were a jam band... but they were fantastic. And the "people watching"....uhhhh... quite interesting. :innocent: Along with the contact high from all the nearby ganja smoke. :tongue:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that...  that's the closest for me, too. Been to shows there that are jam-packed.

Last time there for me was 2011... my nephew is a huge Phish fan, and he talked me into going.

I knew absolutely nothing about Phish going in, other than that they were a jam band... but they were fantastic. And the "people watching"....uhhhh... quite interesting. :innocent: Along with the contact high from all the nearby ganja smoke. :tongue:

Lol Phish and Dave Matthews Band seemed to be competing for most pot related busts when at Hershey. 

Walking to Billy Joel concert there saw a cop putting a guy in a squad car and then put box of bootleg t shirts in the trunk. Then my sisters friend yelled over “can we have one, you have so many” and my heart about stopped.  Cop looked over all PO’ed then laughed “hi Kathy enjoy the concert”. They were neighbors.... and we bought 2 bootleg ts on the way out behind the roller coaster 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

my last trip to rochester, i felt very young in the stands.  very few band students.  not saying this can't change, but perhaps marketing was a concern.  

where would be better?   IF the marketing department can get their act together to sell tickets? 

Eastern PA, Jersey. But that’s a decision for 2021 I was emailed about 2020 ticket sales for Williamsport today.

im 50. I felt young last year 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

renovated? Well kinda. They added 2 new sections of bleachers, starting at I think the 20 yard line that sat empty.

Even farther out than the 20. Kinda on an angle near the end zones. Great football seats... but not for drum corps.